Help with Buffers: H+ Ions, Ka Value, Titration of NH3 & HCl

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of buffers and their effects on pH when strong acids or bases are added. The question also touches on the differences between experimentally-determined dissociation constants and literal values, and potential sources of these differences. The conversation also mentions the Henderson-Hasselbach equation and its relevance to buffers, as well as the use of chemical calculators for lab work.
dagg3r
hi guys need some help with buffers heh

anyways my query is say i have a buffer system, then i add say a strong base or a strong acid, then the ph changes, what's a general statement i can make for these observations regarding the h+ ion concentration and stuff. I know that if i have the buffer, and i add hcl the h+ ions will be consumed by the conjugate base in the buffer and if we add heaps of acid the ph will decrease cos of too much h+ just an opinion anyone care to help me out :)

and anyone also care to give me reasons and differences why ka value experimentally is different to the literally value? when doing a titration of Nh3 against HCl. thanks

i posted here since i realize this would be most appropriate as it is the chemistry forun :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your text, should show you in steps, how do perform such calculations. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask them here, and be sure to attempt them first.

1. What are H+ ions in a buffer solution?

H+ ions, also known as hydrogen ions, are positively charged particles that make up the acidic component of a buffer solution. They are responsible for maintaining the pH level of the solution.

2. What is the Ka value and how does it relate to a buffer solution?

Ka value, also known as the acid dissociation constant, is a measure of the strength of an acid. In a buffer solution, the Ka value is used to calculate the pH of the solution and determine its ability to resist changes in pH.

3. How is NH3 used in a buffer solution?

NH3, also known as ammonia, is a weak base that is commonly used in buffer solutions. It helps to neutralize any excess H+ ions in the solution, preventing a significant change in pH.

4. Can you explain the process of titration with NH3 and HCl?

Titration is a process used to determine the concentration of an unknown solution using a known solution. In the case of NH3 and HCl, a known amount of HCl is slowly added to a solution containing NH3 until the solution reaches a neutral pH. The amount of HCl used can then be used to calculate the concentration of NH3 in the solution.

5. How do I calculate the amount of HCl needed to titrate a solution containing NH3?

To calculate the amount of HCl needed for titration, you will need to know the concentration of the NH3 solution, the volume of the NH3 solution, and the desired pH of the final solution. Using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and the Ka value of NH3, you can calculate the amount of HCl needed to reach the desired pH.