What do you guys usually do for spring break?

In summary: Others may take advantage of the break to travel, spend time with friends, or work on personal projects. It is important to find a balance between studying and taking a break to avoid burnout and maintain good academic performance.
462chevelle
Gold Member
What do you guys usually do for spring break? I can't get myself to quit studying, but i don't know if that will be a bad thing in the long run. Do most people relax and catch up to their sleep, to get refreshed for the second half of the semester?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you studying for if you're on spring break?
--- are you prepping for a GRE?
--- studying stuff you've already learned?
--- getting ready for the next semesters courses?
--- studying something that you're curious about and always wanted to learn?
--- studying to impress and prepare a life with your future fiance?

select all that apply.

Are you being driven by a fear of doing poorly? or are you worried about something and can't let go of studying?

Most people enjoy the break catch up on some reading, play video games, go out with friends, go on a roadtrip or all of these options.

In my case, years ago I would work additional hours for the money which was good for the long-term but bad for the short-term as I had few friends to visit and had some burnout that delayed my graduate studies for 10 years.

Last edited:
Go to the Lab. +__+

Many years ago, I worked entirely through spring break. I had to. I got near the lowest mark in class in the midterm exam in two (out of three) courses

I'm mostly studying calculus, physics, linear algebra, and practicing with python. while not really taking any of these classes. I am preparing for the future. i have a fear of getting behind. I have gotten into the habit of not actually studying for the classes I am taking. but that isn't effecting me so far grade wise. still taking easy classes. trig, bio, geography, and computer info. burnout is what I am afraid of. i don't know if ill be better off already knowing the material and being burnt out. or if i don't know the material as well and not burnt out.

In Ontario, they call it reading week because it's not really a break; it's catch-up.

I'm going to play Bioshock Infinite non-stop until my eyes give out. Only ~2 more weeks left before break...I just have to get through some exams >.<

Pythagorean said:
In Ontario, they call it reading week because it's not really a break; it's catch-up.

Absolutely true. And in Ontario (at least when I was a student), reading week was typically held in mid-February instead of March.

Pythagorean said:

Depends on your major. If you're a science major, it's catch up week. Otherwise, you probably have time to waste.

I knew I picked the wrong major...

leroyjenkens said:
Depends on your major. If you're a science major, it's catch up week. Otherwise, you probably have time to waste.

In the UK reading weeks are a nice bonus for science students giving them more free time (in undergrad degrees at least). As there are no lectures that frees up more time to do lab work and if planned properly, more leisure time. If you're a humanities student it means you don't have lectures because you have a tonne of reading to do.

I have good memories of being an undergrad during a reading week and being able to go to the pub with other scientists in the afternoon/evening because we got everything done in the day. Then I'd go home to a house of humanities students that would be in the same position as I left them in the morning: reading a pile of books and taking copious notes.

i think, i have decided to get ready to go to the drag races this weekend. were going to see how this beast works with spray at the track.

Attachments

• The Vega.jpg
    The Vega.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 371
I am replying back. I worked through spring break after disastrous midterms later in grad school. The first time, I was doing OK. I spent one day working on homework, and then decided I'm taking a bus back to my hometown for the remaining 5-6 days. Things were OK. (I'm not that big a grind)

Well the Vega had some nitrous issues. I got in 11 passes in the Malibu though.

Attachments

• Malibu thunder valley.jpg
    Malibu thunder valley.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 439
Mine's already over, and I've spent it studying for my qualifier exam. Next year I plan on doing something fun though - if I make it that far!

i probably should have studied a little but i think I am ahead enough to be ok.

I work in the yard! Spring break, for me, is a great time to prepare for summer weather.

We've been wanting a fire pit in the back yard for about a year now, so I found an old washing machine at a junkyard, removed the inner tub, and then buried about 3/4 of it underground. I then snagged some extra rocks from the front yard and arranged them to conceal the rest of the tub that was above ground.

There were also some pretty windy days a few weeks ago that broke part of our fence. I bought some wood and repaired/reenforced it so it doesn't topple into our neighbor's yard.

The last thing I did was to get rid of all the annoying patches of crabgrass on our front lawn. I pulled it all up and gave the soil some good seed and fertilizer. Should be green by the time summer rolls around!

Last edited:
462chevelle said:
What do you guys usually do for spring break? I can't get myself to quit studying, but i don't know if that will be a bad thing in the long run. Do most people relax and catch up to their sleep, to get refreshed for the second half of the semester?

Studying for exams.

My results will dictate whether or not I'm accepted onto an MPhys program with a research placement - Which I really want!

Homework

1. What is the purpose of spring break?

Spring break is a designated time off from school or work, typically occurring during the spring season. It serves as a break from the regular routine and allows individuals to relax, travel, or participate in other activities.

2. Why is spring break usually in March or April?

Spring break is typically scheduled during the months of March or April because it aligns with the timing of the spring season in many parts of the world. It also falls between the two academic semesters for most schools, making it a convenient time for students to take a break.

3. What do most people do for spring break?

The activities people choose to do during spring break vary greatly. Some may choose to travel to popular vacation destinations, while others may use the time to catch up on rest and relaxation. Additionally, some may choose to participate in volunteer work, attend music festivals, or visit family and friends.

4. Is spring break only for college students?

While spring break is primarily associated with college students, it is not limited to them. Many high schools, middle schools, and even elementary schools also have designated spring break periods. Additionally, adults who work may also have the opportunity to take time off during spring break.

5. What are the benefits of taking a spring break?

Taking a spring break can have several benefits, including reducing stress, improving mental health, and increasing productivity. It also allows individuals to spend quality time with loved ones and explore new places and experiences, which can lead to personal growth and cultural awareness.