Bounding General Shapes with Polygons, Especially Concave

In summary, the speaker is looking for access to mathematicians who are knowledgeable about polygonal math. They created an algorithm for bounding shapes with polygons in 1999/2000 that was fast and worked for concave polygons. They are unsure if their employer sold the algorithm and are considering pursuing legal action if necessary. They are seeking additional information or updates on the topic.
downplay
I apologize if this is the wrong forum but I need access to mathematicians who know what's happening with polygonal math.

I created an unproven algorithm (or heuristic) back in 1999/2000 for bounding shapes with polygons. It was interesting because it was fast, general for polygons of any number of sides, and especially that it worked for concave polygons.

I am trying to figure out if this is still a needed solution for the world. I wonder if my employer of the time may have sold it. If not, I am not sure they own the rights to it anyway. If they sold it, I want to see if a lawsuit is worthwhile.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

What is the purpose of bounding general shapes with polygons, especially concave?

The purpose of bounding general shapes with polygons, especially concave, is to create a simplified representation of a complex shape that can be used for various purposes such as collision detection, pathfinding, and visualization.

How is the process of bounding general shapes with polygons, especially concave, carried out?

The process typically involves breaking down the shape into smaller, simpler polygons and then using algorithms to determine the best arrangement of these polygons to accurately represent the original shape.

What challenges are associated with bounding concave shapes with polygons?

Bounding concave shapes can be challenging because they have inward-facing angles, which can result in overlaps and gaps in the polygonal representation. Additionally, concave shapes are more complex and may require a larger number of polygons to accurately represent them.

What are some common algorithms used for bounding general shapes with polygons, especially concave?

Some common algorithms used for this purpose include the convex hull algorithm, the triangulation algorithm, and the ear clipping algorithm. Each of these algorithms has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of algorithm depends on the specific shape being bounded.

How is the accuracy of the polygonal representation of a concave shape evaluated?

The accuracy of the representation can be evaluated by measuring the percentage of surface area or perimeter of the original shape that is accurately captured by the polygonal representation. Other factors such as number of polygons used and visual inspection can also be used to assess the accuracy.