Geodesic equations and Christoffel symbols

In summary: Since he uses terminology like "surface" and "first fundamental form", I assume that he only works with embedded submanifolds in ##\mathbb{R}^n##. A lot of introductory differential geometry books will only treat this case and don't work with general manifolds and metrics.Well, here is the issue. Suppose I have a helicoid parameterized by Y(u,\theta) = (sinh(u)cos(\theta), -sinh(u)sin(\theta), \theta). For some point on this surface with the coordinate (u,\theta), how can one easily compute the geodesic passing through that point using the first fundamental form? Or
Demon117
I've been thinking about this quite a bit. So it is clear that one can determine the Christoffel symbols from the first fundamental form. Is it possible to derive the geodesics of a surface from the Christoffel symbols?

Physics news on Phys.org
Demon117 said:
I've been thinking about this quite a bit. So it is clear that one can determine the Christoffel symbols from the first fundamental form. Is it possible to derive the geodesics of a surface from the Christoffel symbols?

What about the geodesic equation? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesic#Riemannian_geometry

I'm a little bit confused by the language. Is the overall metric for a manifold usually referred to as the "first fundamental form"? From my readings, I've only encountered the language "first fundamental form" in the case of embedded submanifolds for which the "first fundamental form" is the (restricted) metric on the embedded submanifold, and the second fundamental form is the extrinsic curvature.

So are you talking about geodesics on an embedded submanifold? I'm just wondering why you use the language "first fundamental form" instead of the more often seen word "metric". o_O

Matterwave said:
I'm a little bit confused by the language. Is the overall metric for a manifold usually referred to as the "first fundamental form"? From my readings, I've only encountered the language "first fundamental form" in the case of embedded submanifolds for which the "first fundamental form" is the (restricted) metric on the embedded submanifold, and the second fundamental form is the extrinsic curvature.

So are you talking about geodesics on an embedded submanifold? I'm just wondering why you use the language "first fundamental form" instead of the more often seen word "metric". o_O

Since he uses terminology like "surface" and "first fundamental form", I assume that he only works with embedded submanifolds in ##\mathbb{R}^n##. A lot of introductory differential geometry books will only treat this case and don't work with general manifolds and metrics.

Well, here is the issue. Suppose I have a helicoid parameterized by [itex]Y(u,\theta) = (sinh(u)cos(\theta), -sinh(u)sin(\theta), \theta)[/itex]. For some point on this surface with the coordinate [itex](u,\theta)[/itex], how can one easily compute the geodesic passing through that point using the first fundamental form? Or is that even possible? Call the point p.

This has bugged me for quite some time :/

nevermind.

1. What are geodesic equations?

Geodesic equations are mathematical equations that describe the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. They are used in the field of differential geometry to study the geometry of curved spaces.

2. How are geodesic equations related to Christoffel symbols?

Geodesic equations are written in terms of Christoffel symbols, which are a set of coefficients that describe the curvature of a space. The Christoffel symbols are used to calculate the geodesic equations and determine the shortest path between two points on a curved surface.

3. What is the significance of Christoffel symbols in general relativity?

In general relativity, Christoffel symbols are used to describe the curvature of spacetime. They are used in the Einstein field equations to determine the motion of particles in a curved spacetime and predict the behavior of objects under the influence of gravity.

4. Can Christoffel symbols be calculated for any type of curved space?

Yes, Christoffel symbols can be calculated for any type of curved space, including spaces with positive, negative, or zero curvature. They are a fundamental tool in the study of differential geometry and are used in various fields such as physics and engineering.

5. How are Christoffel symbols related to the metric tensor?

The metric tensor is a mathematical object that describes the distance between two points in a space. Christoffel symbols are derived from the metric tensor and are used to calculate the curvature of a space. They are closely related and both play important roles in the study of differential geometry.