Torque & Normals: Why Do We Ignore Normals?

• Thread starter Offlinedoctor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torques
In summary, the definition of torque deals with normal forces acting perpendicular to a moment arm. When calculating torque, the normal component is only considered if there is friction at the hinge.
Offlinedoctor
Hi,

I'm struggling to understand why we never consider normals when doing torque questions?

One on the top of my head is a hand pushing a bar, 'x' metres away' from the pivot joint. From the worked examples, there is only one torque (the hand), but how come we never consider the normal forces involved? It gets more confusing when I think about applying torque to people on planks, how come when some people are standing we never take into account their normals when applying torque?

Physics news on Phys.org
Offlinedoctor said:
Hi,

I'm struggling to understand why we never consider normals when doing torque questions?

Perhaps you should review the definition of torque:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

One on the top of my head is a hand pushing a bar, 'x' metres away' from the pivot joint. From the worked examples, there is only one torque (the hand), but how come we never consider the normal forces involved? It gets more confusing when I think about applying torque to people on planks, how come when some people are standing we never take into account their normals when applying torque?

Which 'normal forces' are you talking about? The definition of torque explicitly deals with normal forces acting perpendicular to a moment arm.

If you have a force acting with both horizontal and vertical components, then the tangent component will be used to calculate the torque. The "normal" component is only used if you have friction at the hinge.

1. What is torque and why is it important in understanding the concept of normals?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. It is important in understanding normals because it helps us understand how forces act on an object and how they affect its movement.

2. How do we calculate torque and what units is it measured in?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. It is measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) in the metric system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

3. Can you explain why we often ignore normals when studying torque?

Normals are forces that are perpendicular to the surface of an object. When studying torque, we are primarily interested in the forces that cause an object to rotate, which are typically tangential forces. Therefore, normals are often ignored because they do not have a significant effect on an object's rotational motion.

4. Are there any situations where normals are important in understanding torque?

Yes, there are some situations where normals play a crucial role in understanding torque. For example, if an object is resting on an inclined plane, the force of gravity acting on the object will have both a tangential and normal component, which will affect its rotational motion.

5. How does the direction of torque relate to the direction of the force applied to an object?

The direction of torque is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the applied force and curl your fingers towards the direction of rotation, your fingers will point in the direction of the torque. This means that the direction of torque is always perpendicular to the plane formed by the force and the axis of rotation.