Does physical activity aid in the metabolization of alcohol?

In summary: Being a teenager and going through a Driver's Ed course, I'm constantly reminded that only time will sober you up after drinking, not a shower, not coffee, not a jog, nothing but time. In summary, NY state is trying to make us believe that the only way to sober up is by drinking more coffee, showering, and doing other exercises. I don't think this is actually true, as drinking alcohol will only metabolize it at a slower rate if you are physically active.
wasteofo2
Being a teenager and going through a Driver's Ed course, I'm constantly reminded that only time will sober you up after drinking, not a shower, not coffee, not a jog, nothing but time.

This just seems stupid to me.

Obviously jogging won't take you from hammered to sober, and I'm not going to have 4 drinks then jog and think I'm fine to drive, but it just seems preposterous that they're trying to tell me that there's a substance that is naturally metabolized by my body, but that can only be metabolized at one constant rate.

Is NY state just trying to innundate me and my peers with propaganda, or could it actually be true that a general increase in the rate of metabolism as brought on by physical activity won't metabolize alcohol more rapidly than if one were to just sit around and wait for the alcohol to be metabolized?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I don't have any scientific evidence to support my guess, but my guess is this: alcohol is metabolized by your liver, not your muscles. Exercising your muscles won't directly increase alcohol metabolism. Of course, the increased blood flow through the liver might make a very slight difference, but I'd bet the dominant effect is the saturation of the liver enzymes involved in the metabolism -- and thus exercise won't do anything at all.

- Warren

Do you know that your liver enzymes are always saturated when you're intoxicated? It makes sense to me that you'd have some idle capacity for alcohol metabolization while your body is relatively static, a portion of which increased bloodflow would unlock.

Along with that, I have personally conducted experiments which would further lead me to conclude that the rate of alcohol metabolizm increased with increased cardiovascular activity.

Last edited:
Excercise increases the rate of metabolism. Humans can metabolize alcohol to make energy containing molecules such as NADH. So an increase in excercise or energy expenditure will increase the rate of metabolism of everything including alcohol. Running would probably be better than weight training.

1. How does physical activity aid in the metabolization of alcohol?

Physical activity increases the metabolism rate and blood flow, which helps break down alcohol faster. This allows the body to process and eliminate alcohol more efficiently.

2. Does the intensity of the physical activity affect the metabolization of alcohol?

Yes, the intensity of physical activity can impact the metabolization of alcohol. High-intensity activities like running or cycling can increase the body's metabolism rate and help break down alcohol faster.

3. How long after consuming alcohol should I wait before engaging in physical activity?

It is recommended to wait at least 1-2 hours after consuming alcohol before engaging in physical activity. This allows the body enough time to process and eliminate the alcohol before engaging in strenuous physical activity.

4. Can physical activity completely eliminate the effects of alcohol?

No, physical activity cannot completely eliminate the effects of alcohol. While it can help the body process and metabolize alcohol faster, it cannot reverse the effects of alcohol on the brain and nervous system.

5. Are there certain types of physical activity that are more effective in aiding the metabolization of alcohol?

Any type of physical activity that increases the heart rate and blood flow can aid in the metabolization of alcohol. However, high-intensity activities and aerobic exercises are generally more effective in increasing metabolism rate and breaking down alcohol faster.