Outcome of remaking the superforce ?

• Thread starter davidsirmons
  • Start date
In summary, if a person or extradimensional entity were to re-create the superforce, they could potentially create powerful particles and objects, but it would be very difficult to do so and the resulting power would be short-lived.
davidsirmons
What would the result be if a person (or extradimensional entity) were to re-create the superforce?

A little explanation...

I'm a professional game designer/artist for over ten years. Currently I'm creating a 3 faction game, where one faction has total command over the elemental forces of the universe: Strong/Weak nuclear force, EM, Gravity, as well as mass, fusion, Quantum Entanglement, Matter-Antimatter. I'm looking for super high end powers for each class, and for this one class, having them capable of re-creating the superforce seems interesting. But I have no idea what the result would be.

If anyone has any ideas, no matter how theoretical (though grounded in serious replies, please) I'd love to hear!

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean with "superforce"? This is not a name physicists use for anything.

What is "total command"? As in, can change the laws of those things? Then they are not physical laws any more.

I moved the thread to our science fiction section.

Don't see it moved there yet. Maybe soon...

In grand unification theory, EM, Gravity, Strong/Weak nuclear forces were combined. I have no other name to call this by other than what I've heard it referred to series like "How the Universe Works" and others. Its name isn't really my interest though. I'm curious what would happen, or what abilities a wielder of such a force/power would attain, nothing more.

The "superforce" doesn't cease to exist. It's still there. It's just that it isn't symmetric at low energies.

But if you had a particle collider that could produce matter at high enough temperatures (around a trillion times the temperatures that the LHC can produce), then you would have matter where that symmetry would again be observed, for a very short period of time.

Except gravity. Gravity is fundamentally different from the other forces. The strong and weak nuclear forces and electromagnetism unify. Gravity doesn't. You can bring them all together in the same descriptive framework, but gravity still is distinct from the other forces within that framework (fundamentally, the force carriers of the other forces are spin-1 particles, while the force carrier for gravity is spin-2, and you can't make a spin-2 particle look like a spin-1 particle at any energy).

Interesting stuff.

So what would be possible uses of/with the 'superforce' in that moment?

Chalnoth said:
Except gravity. Gravity is fundamentally different from the other forces. The strong and weak nuclear forces and electromagnetism unify. Gravity doesn't.
We don't know that, both parts are independent, unsolved problems.

Different boson types do not rule out a unification, there is also the unification of electromagnetic interaction (with uncharged force carriers) with the weak interaction (where the bosons are charged on their own, so you get self-interactions).

Hmm... there are some concepts of very exotic particles/objects that need a huge amount of energy to get produced. Magnetic monopoles, cosmic strings, whatever. I'm sure you can find an application if you can produce it.

davidsirmons said:
Interesting stuff.

Uses? It'd be useful in providing insight into how high-energy physics operates, and potentially how the symmetry is broken to the physics that we measure at low energies. The cost of such a project, if it is ever possible, would be far too prohibitive to do anything with it besides this.

Since it was the superforce that allowed the nascent universe to (it is thought) expand faster than lightspeed, I'm leaning toward that being one of the player applications when they achieve the ability. That can't be all it would allow, though, since even the default player will already be able to create proximal jumpgates tied to distal locations. There's got to be something more: locally unraveling the fabric of space time, maybe opening up a rift and accessing Membranes for energy, who knows what.

I'll have to really think more about the possibilities. It's kind of ironic: I'd originally thought this player class 'underpowered' until I remembered the 'superforce'. Now it might actually be staggeringly overpowered against the other player classes.

davidsirmons said:
Since it was the superforce that allowed the nascent universe to (it is thought) expand faster than lightspeed
This is wrong.

First, expansion isn't a speed, so it doesn't make any sense at all to compare expansion to the speed of light. Expansion is a rate, basically the percent the universe expands each period of time (currently about 7% per billion years).

Second, inflation requires not only extremely high energies, but also an exceedingly specific configuration of matter. Saying, "It was the superforce that allowed cosmic inflation," is pretty much like saying, "It's the strong nuclear force and electromagnetism that allow jet airliners."

Third, even if we were to overcome the vast probabilities and produce a new inflating region, it would appear to us like a microscopic black hole that was produced and then evaporated in an infinitesimal fraction of a second. I don't see any applications likely.

The fact of the matter is that we have discovered all of the fundamental physics which is likely to produce any practical applications. New discoveries in high-energy physics are highly unlikely to ever lead to any uses of said physics directly. Now, there are still benefits besides just the fact that high-energy physics is interesting. Primarily, building new experimental apparatuses to probe physics at higher and higher energies requires difficult engineering, and that engineering leads to new technologies which have uses elsewhere.

But the primary motivation is just that high-energy physics is interesting. Don't expect anything directly beyond learning more about the nature of our universe.

So I guess you don't give heed to the people with their own doctorates that have given this overview (superforce/expansion rate that supercedes lightspeed) of the initial moment of the universe's creation?

davidsirmons said:
So I guess you don't give heed to the people with their own doctorates that have given this overview (superforce/expansion rate that supercedes lightspeed) of the initial moment of the universe's creation?
I generally don't give heed to any letters behind anybody's name. Yes, I'm aware that lots of scientists falsely use the "superluminal expansion" statement. I think it's disgusting that such a flagrantly-incorrect statement has become so common in popular descriptions of inflation.

I happen to have some letters that could be put behind my name as well, but I prefer to just rest on the facts of the case than credentials.

Likes phinds

1. What is the superforce and why is it being remade?

The superforce is a theoretical unified field theory that attempts to explain the fundamental forces of nature. It is being remade because the current theories do not fully explain all of the observed phenomena in the universe.

2. What are the expected outcomes of remaking the superforce?

The expected outcomes of remaking the superforce include a more comprehensive understanding of the fundamental forces, potential new discoveries and predictions, and a more unified and simplified theory of the universe.

3. How is the superforce being remade?

The superforce is being remade through a combination of theoretical work, mathematical modeling, and experiments. Scientists are constantly testing and refining their theories to create a more accurate and complete understanding of the universe.

4. Will the remaking of the superforce lead to any practical applications?

It is possible that the remaking of the superforce could lead to practical applications in fields such as technology, energy, and medicine. However, the primary goal is to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and workings of the universe.

5. How long will it take to remake the superforce?

The process of remaking the superforce is ongoing and may take many years or even decades. It is a complex and challenging task that requires continuous research and collaboration among scientists in different fields.