Stunning Revolution in Physics or dumb Newspaper?

In summary: In other words, you need to know what it is they are saying has been accomplished so that you can judge if it is true or not. Sounds like they are trying to show that relativity is not the final word on the subject.
Lyuokdea
Ok, I was looking through technocrat and I saw a link to this article which claims, that physicists have not only succeeding in slowing down, but also in speeding up the speed of light. I assume it is actually talking about the speed of light in the medium or something, but the article doesn't seem to claim that, does anybody know what was actually accomplished, I doubt the laws of physics were suddenly overturned with this little fanfare.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-08/epfd-ltt081905.php

~Lyuokdea

Physics news on Phys.org
Being in an optical fibre my guess would be "in a medium"

Lyuokdea said:
Ok, I was looking through technocrat and I saw a link to this article which claims, that physicists have not only succeeding in slowing down, but also in speeding up the speed of light. I assume it is actually talking about the speed of light in the medium or something, but the article doesn't seem to claim that, does anybody know what was actually accomplished, I doubt the laws of physics were suddenly overturned with this little fanfare.

but they've also accomplished the considerable feat of speeding it up – making light go faster than the speed of light.

Sounds like its in a medium or the world would have gone insane. I suppose we need to determine how important is it in context then we can figure out what they meant by speeding up light. I guess if all experiments so far have simply been to slow down light, it would be very exciting if they were able to speed it back up again after its been slown down.

And by taking 10 more seconds to continue reading, I stumbled upon this.

They were also able to create extreme conditions in which the light signal traveled faster than 300 million meters a second. And even though this seems to violate all sorts of cherished physical assumptions, Einstein needn't move over – relativity isn't called into question, because only a portion of the signal is affected.

What does that mean?

Last edited:
Its probably a fibre that changes properties upon a given signal, such as electric current. This change in properties can either speed up or slow doen light. As for the claims that they can make it go faster than the speed of light in a vacum, (if they do claim that at all) I don't believe it.

Regards,

Nenad

Looking around I found a more in depth article that seems to argue that it has to do with changing the phase velocities for the different frequencies of light moving through the cable. I think they are talking about this illusion coming from quantum mechanical phenomena, but does it actually allow particles to move faster than the speed of light?

http://www.livescience.com/technology/050819_fastlight.html

~Lyuokdea

Yes, it is phase velocity they are talking about.

Tide is correct, they are talking about phase velocity [which is irrelevant]. Relativity is not imperiled until useful information is communicated at superluminal velocities.

1. What is the "Stunning Revolution in Physics"?

The "Stunning Revolution in Physics" refers to a recent breakthrough or discovery in the field of physics that has significant implications for our understanding of the universe.

2. What are some examples of this "Stunning Revolution in Physics"?

Some examples of the "Stunning Revolution in Physics" include the discovery of gravitational waves, the confirmation of the Higgs boson particle, and advancements in quantum computing.

3. How does this "Stunning Revolution in Physics" impact our daily lives?

Although the "Stunning Revolution in Physics" may seem like it only affects the scientific community, it actually has many real-world applications. For example, the discovery of gravitational waves has allowed us to observe and study the universe in a completely new way, while advancements in quantum computing could lead to significant improvements in technology and medicine.

4. Why is this "Stunning Revolution in Physics" considered a big deal?

The "Stunning Revolution in Physics" is considered a big deal because it challenges and expands our current understanding of the universe. It also has the potential to open up new avenues for scientific research and technological development.

5. What can we expect from future "Stunning Revolutions in Physics"?

It is difficult to predict what future "Stunning Revolutions in Physics" will look like, but it is safe to say that they will continue to push the boundaries of our knowledge and change the way we view the world. With advancements in technology and scientific methods, we can expect even more groundbreaking discoveries in the future.