Compiling VB.NET Code with Interop_msxml.dll & Gacutil.exe

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code
In summary, I am trying to compile a bare-bones snippet of code and seem to be running into some sort of version conflict when adding the dll as a reference. I've tried a couple of fora about this (Windows Media, The Code Project, Tek Tips), but I'm not getting any traffic. If you can't offer advice, could you point me to somewhere/one that could?
DaveC426913
Gold Member
If anyone has some experience with the following (even if you're not an expert), I would really appreciate talking to you (I am a novice):
Visual Studio.Net
Visual Basic.NET
adding a reference
interop_msxml.dll
gacutil.exe

Basically, I am trying to compile a bare-bones snippet of code and seem to be running into some sort of version conflict when adding the dll as a reference.

I've tried a couple of fora about this (Windows Media, The Code Project, Tek Tips), but I'm not getting any traffic.

If you can't offer advice, could you point me to somewhere/one that could?

Help!

Technology news on Phys.org
Try asking your questions on one of the microsoft dev news groups.

microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb

My MS isn't working right now, big surprise. But if I remember correctly if you go to the panel on the right that shows all the files in the project you can right click and then "add file to project".

nbo10 said:
My MS isn't working right now, big surprise. But if I remember correctly if you go to the panel on the right that shows all the files in the project you can right click and then "add file to project".
Yeah, sorry, not that much of a novice.

My application wants a reference to interop_msxml. If I add that reference to the project, it will automagically create that file in the runtime folder. When I go to compile, it turns around and tells me that it can't copy the file tot eh runtime folder since it would overwrite the existing file.

There are two versions of the file giving me trouble, I just don't understand how. They're not even the same filename:
interop_msxml.dll v2.0.0.0
interop.MSXML.dll v9.0.0.3963

Dave, have you solved this yet? if so what happened? If not, could you list more of the project goals and what you did to get the error? I could attempt to setup a VS.net project but need more info. VS.net is smart and could be adding references automatically

1. What is VB.NET code?

VB.NET is a programming language used to create applications for the Microsoft .NET framework. It is an object-oriented language that is based on the Visual Basic programming language.

2. What is Interop_msxml.dll?

Interop_msxml.dll is a dynamic link library (DLL) file that provides a bridge between VB.NET code and the Microsoft XML (MSXML) library. It allows VB.NET code to access and use the functionality of MSXML.

3. What is Gacutil.exe?

Gacutil.exe is a command-line tool used to manage the Global Assembly Cache (GAC) in .NET. It allows you to install, uninstall, and view information about assemblies that are stored in the GAC.

4. Why do I need to compile VB.NET code with Interop_msxml.dll and Gacutil.exe?

If your VB.NET code uses the MSXML library, it needs to be compiled with Interop_msxml.dll in order to access and use the MSXML functionality. Additionally, if you want to share your code with others or deploy it on different machines, you may need to use Gacutil.exe to add your code to the GAC for easier access.

5. How do I compile VB.NET code with Interop_msxml.dll and Gacutil.exe?

First, you need to add a reference to the Interop_msxml.dll in your VB.NET project. Then, when compiling your code, you can use the /r flag to specify the path to the Interop_msxml.dll file. To add your code to the GAC, you can use the gacutil /i command followed by the path to your compiled assembly.