Antisymmetric 4-Tensor: Hodge/Duality Transformation Explained

• Thread starter yukcream
  • Start date
In summary, the Hodge duality transformation is an operation used in mathematics and physics to transform tensors of rank p into rank (n-p), where n is the dimension. It is often used in general relativity to discuss curvature tensors and can be easily understood in terms of Clifford algebras. Some recommended introductory reading includes the wikipedia article on the Hodge star operator, as well as books such as Schouten's "Tensor Analysis for Physicists" and Burke's "Applied Differential Geometry".
yukcream
What is Hodge or duality trnsformation? I just know it is an operation to transform tensor of rank p into rank (n-p), where n is the dimension? I want to know more about it especially how it works in general relativity,can anyone give me some introductory reading for me? Thank you :rolleyes:

yukyuk

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the Hodge duality transformation is the most easily understood in terms of Clifford algebras.

There is some introductory reading about Clifford algebras

here

If you are already familiar with the standard vector dot products and wedge products, it should be fairly easy reading. If you are not already somewhat familiar with the wedge product, it may not be so easy.

Anyway, suppose you have three non-collinear vectors in a 4-d space (since we are talking about relativity). (Note that this collection of three vectors is really a three-form. I'm not sure if you are familiar with three-forms or not. The Clifford algebra article will describe three-forms in more detail if you are not already familiar with them).

There is one and only one vector that's orthogonal to all three vectors (the three-form) - you can think of it as the time vector that's associated with the volume element defined by the three non-collinear vectors.

We can make the length of the vector proportional to the volume of the pareallel piped spanned by the three vectors.

This vector is the "hodge dual". In the language of forms, it associates a 1-form with every three-form. (I called it a vector before, but it's not really a vector, its the dual of a vector, a 1-form).

You can do similar transformations with other n-forms.

Some suggestions [that worked for me].

First, recognize that the [antisymmetric] cross-product of two vectors, which is most naturally visualized as an oriented plane, can be thought of as a vector in 3-dim Euclidean space... with the help of the Hodge dual operation.

Next, study Hodge duality in electromagnetism.
For example,
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/jk1/lectures/node22.html
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/jk1/lectures/node23.html

I'd suggest these books:

Schouten - Tensor Analysis for Physicists

Bamberg & Sternberg - A Course in Mathematics for Students of Physics

Burke - Applied Differential Geometry

Schutz - Geometrical Methods of Mathematical Physics

In GR, the Hodge dual shows up when discussing curvature tensors.
Exercise: The Riemann curvature tensor has two pairs of antisymmetric indices. By dualizing each pair, one gets the "double-dual" of Riemann. Take its [nontrivial] trace. What do you get?
The answer is in MTW - Gravitation

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an antisymmetric 4-tensor?

An antisymmetric 4-tensor is a mathematical object that represents the relationship between four vectors or four dual vectors. It is antisymmetric, meaning that the value of the tensor changes sign when any two of its indices are interchanged. This property is important in understanding the behavior of physical quantities in certain systems.

2. What is the Hodge transformation?

The Hodge transformation is a mathematical operation that maps an antisymmetric tensor to its corresponding dual tensor. It is used in differential geometry and calculus to simplify and solve equations involving tensors, and is particularly useful in the study of electromagnetism and general relativity.

3. What is the duality transformation?

The duality transformation, also known as the Hodge dual, is a mathematical operation that maps an antisymmetric tensor to its corresponding dual tensor. It is closely related to the Hodge transformation, but is used in different contexts, particularly in the study of electromagnetism and other physical theories involving tensors.

4. How does the Hodge transformation relate to the duality transformation?

The Hodge transformation and the duality transformation are two different mathematical operations that achieve the same result - mapping an antisymmetric tensor to its corresponding dual tensor. They are closely related and often used interchangeably, but they have different origins and applications in mathematical and physical theories.

5. Why is the Hodge/duality transformation important in physics?

The Hodge/duality transformation is important in physics because it allows us to simplify and solve equations involving tensors, which are essential in understanding the behavior of physical quantities in certain systems. It is particularly useful in the study of electromagnetism and general relativity, and has applications in many other areas of physics and mathematics.