Potential Risks of Providing a Credit Card Imprint for Rentals

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    credit card
In summary, if you have ever rented anything and had to leave a Credit Card imprint, you will need a CC imprint, a Credit Card slip with the number value blank, and your signautre at the bottom.

Have you ever been asked for a **signature** on a CC imprint?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No.

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Tough question - see post.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
DaveC426913
Gold Member
If you have ever rented anything and had to leave a Credit Card imprint, what else did you need to do with that imprint?

I'm not talking about a deposit, I'm talking about "That'll be $60 for the equipment, and, additionally, I'll need a CC imprint. We'll tear that up when you return the equipment"

Have you ever been asked to sing that imprint? i.e. the sotre now has an imprint of your Credit Card - on a Credit Card slip with the number value blank, and your signautre at the bottom.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't sign a blank charge slip, there needs to be an amount. They can charge a deposit, or as hotels and other places do when you submit a credit card, they put a "hold" against your credit line that guarantees them a certain amount if you default. You haven't agreed to it, you probably aren't even aware of it and yes, it's legal.

For example, I want to stay one night at a hotel, The room is $150, the hotel will put a hold of $300 on my card. What sucks is that the hold can last a week after you left the hotel and paid. I found this out when doing a lot of traveling, hotel, plane tickets, car rentals in a short time. One hotel I stopped at told me my card was declined, I told them it wasn't possible, I still had over $1,000 left on the card. I called my card company and they said my balance was indeed $1,000 less than my limit, but my limit was tied up in "holds" that hadn't dropped off yet. After fighting with a manager, he agreed to extend my credit because one of the holds had passed a reasonable time to have dropped off. :grumpy:

Yeah, that's a big no-no. Same thing with auto shops. They always ask for your signature on the work slip before they give an estimate. Don't ever sign that, as you're agreeing to pay for any work that they might do, necessary or not.

1. What is a credit card imprint on a rental?

A credit card imprint on a rental is a process in which a rental company takes an impression of your credit card using a manual or electronic device. This is done as a security measure to ensure that the renter has a valid credit card that can cover any potential damages or fees incurred during the rental period.

2. Why do rental companies require a credit card imprint?

Rental companies require a credit card imprint as a form of security deposit. This helps protect them in case of any damages or fees that may arise during the rental period. The imprint allows the company to charge the card if necessary, without having to go through a lengthy reimbursement process with the renter.

3. Is a credit card imprint the same as a credit card hold?

No, a credit card imprint and a credit card hold are not the same. A credit card hold is a temporary freeze on a certain amount of credit on your card, while an imprint is a physical copy of your credit card information. The hold is released once the rental is returned without any damages or fees, while the imprint may be kept on file for a longer period of time.

4. How long does a credit card imprint stay on file?

The length of time a credit card imprint stays on file varies depending on the rental company's policies. Some companies may keep the imprint for a few days, while others may keep it for a few weeks. It is important to clarify with the rental company how long they will keep your credit card imprint on file.

5. Can I use a debit card for a credit card imprint on a rental?

Most rental companies prefer a credit card for the imprint, as it offers more protection and is easier to process. However, some companies may accept a debit card as long as it has a major credit card logo and the required funds are available. It is best to check with the rental company beforehand to see if they accept debit cards for credit card imprints.