Finding the Length of a Path on a 3D Graph

• Thread starter david90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of a route that keeps the hiker at a constant elevation from the origin to point (4pie,0,0). The arc length formula is suggested as a way to find the length of this route. The second part of the conversation involves determining a route of minimal length, assuming the hiker starts in the positive x direction and moves along the gradient. This requires solving a differential equation, which can be done through integration.
david90
z=f(x,y)= (cos y) - (cos x)

u are at the origin and want to hike to point (4pie,0,0). U want to get to 4pie,0,0 by hiking a route that alway keeps you at the same elevation. what is the length of this route?

I ploted the graph and I already know the route that will keep me at the same elevation from origin to 4pie,0,0 but how do I find the length of that route??

As for the second part

Your second route always moves along the gradient. Determine such a route of minimal lenght, assuming you start hiking in the positive x direction. What is the length? If you cannot find and exact answer, then determine an upper bound and a lower bound bbetween which the actual length must lie.

I have no clue on doing the second part.
I need some serious help because this will determine my final grade so be clear and help me as much as u can. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I edited my response to be less helpful, since this appears to be not just ordinary homework, but a take-home final exam or something.

I ploted the graph and I already know the route that will keep me at the same elevation from origin to 4pie,0,0 but how do I find the length of that route??

You use the arc length formula. I'm sure you can find it in your notes or textbook.

Your second route always moves along the gradient. Determine such a route of minimal lenght, assuming you start hiking in the positive x direction.

If you travel along some parametrized path (x(t),y(t)), then you'll have to solve the differential equations,

[tex]\nabla z \propto \dot{x} \hat{x} + \dot{y} \hat{y}[/tex]

subject to the initial condition [itex]\dot{y}_{|t=0} = 0[/itex].

Last edited:
it is an ec assigment that worth quite a lot, not a take home exam.

why do u have to use the arc formula? The path is not on the arc but on the path between the circle.

My teacher told me to do integration to get the answer. I haven't done differential equation yet so...

don't be shy with giving hints :wink:

Last edited:
Originally posted by david90
why do u have to use the arc formula? The path is not on the arc but on the path between the circle.

"Arc" means the same thing as "path", in this context: the arc-length formula gives the length of any path.

My teacher told me to do integration to get the answer. I haven't done differential equation yet so...

You solve the differential equation by integrating. If you write down the relation that [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] is proportional to the x component of [itex]\nabla f[/itex] (by a possibly position-dependent proportionality factor), and similarly for [itex]\dot{y}[/itex] (by the same factor), then you'll get some equations involving derivatives of x and y which you will have to integrate to get x and y. (I'd recommend first trying t=x to simplify the parametrization.)

1. What is a 3D graph?

A 3D graph, also known as a three-dimensional graph, is a type of visual representation that displays data in three dimensions. It is created by plotting points on an x, y, and z-axis to show the relationship between three variables.

2. Why is a 3D graph useful?

A 3D graph allows for a better understanding of complex relationships between multiple variables. It can also provide a more accurate representation of data compared to a 2D graph, as it takes into account an additional dimension.

3. How do you create a 3D graph?

To create a 3D graph, you will need to use a software program or tool that supports 3D graphing, such as MATLAB or Excel. You will also need to have your data organized in three columns for the x, y, and z variables. Once you input the data, the software will generate the 3D graph for you.

4. What are the advantages of using a 3D graph?

One advantage of using a 3D graph is that it can reveal patterns and trends that may not be apparent in a 2D graph. It also allows for a more comprehensive analysis of data and can be helpful in identifying outliers or unusual data points.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 3D graph?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a 3D graph. One limitation is that it can be difficult to interpret and understand for those who are not familiar with 3D graphing. It can also be challenging to accurately plot data points in three dimensions, leading to potential errors in the graph.