Why is nasal congestion worse indoors than outdoors?

• Thread starter mbrmbrg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, having a cold may make nasal congestion worse inside than outside because of the higher concentration of oxygen in cold air.
mbrmbrg
Why is nasal congestion due to a cold so much worse inside than outside? (Or is it just me?)

Biology news on Phys.org
Having noticed a similar effect, I have a theory about that.
I have both chronic bronchitis and advanced emphysema, and I find that I can breathe much easier in cold weather. Having been something of a racer back in the day, I can't help but suspect that it's based upon the same principle as a car running better in cold or foggy air. It's a denser intake charge.
A 'normal' person with nasal congestion is sort of in the same predicament that I am all of the time, in that inhalation is difficult. Warm air takes up more space per molecule than does cold air. In made-up numbers, rather than actual figures, let's assume that your lungs hold 1 litre of air each. With cold air, you might have something like 30% more molecules (and therefore 30% more oxygen) per breath than you do with warm air. As a general rule (at least where I live), it's warmer inside than outside.
Also, in an enclosed environment the air will have a lower percent of oxygen since carbon dioxide will accumulate without the benefit of free circulation.

Interesting... But I've noticed this effect both in the winter (colder inside than outside) and in the summer (warmer inside than outside). The cross-seasonal effect also leads me to believe it ain't allergies.

In that case, I'm stumped for now.

mbrmbrg said:
Interesting... But I've noticed this effect both in the winter (colder inside than outside) and in the summer (warmer inside than outside). The cross-seasonal effect also leads me to believe it ain't allergies.

Could be something inside that you are allergic to.
That wouldn't be affected by seasons.

Good point. Among my other maladies is an allergy to dust. Doesn't matter what kind of dust, from house stuff to road dirt to crap that flies up when I mow the lawn. It isn't seasonal.

If this helps -

Elevated physical activity levels - like going from sitting to walking - can open up clogged nasal passages. So, if while out you are mostly walking that may be a contributory factor.

And, in general, the overall allergen load inside is generally higher than outside. Dust/skin mites, shed skin, are found inside very commonly. Pollutants from cooking - the products of the destructive distillation of low molecular weight fatty acids during cooking for example - are also something many people have problems with. Deep fry a lot?

I have noticed the same effect when I had a cold a few weeks ago. Inside my nose would become totally congested, outside the passages would clear almost completely. I haven't come up with a theory yet that would explain this effect.

I get the same effect with my allergies to pollen, but it may not be related since the quality of the air is better outside. For the other conditions, there may be some hints here:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003049.htm

Maybe the temperature outside is lower and this reduces the size of the blood vessel? If not lower, there is a lot more air (as it moves/blows) to transport away heat content?

1. What is mucus?

Mucus is a slippery, gel-like substance that is produced by the mucous membranes in the body. It is made up of water, proteins, and other substances and serves as a protective barrier for various organs and tissues.

2. Why do we produce mucus?

Mucus serves several important functions in the body. It helps to trap and remove foreign particles, such as dust and bacteria, from the respiratory system. It also helps to keep the mucous membranes lubricated and moisturized, preventing them from drying out.

3. What other substances are found in mucus?

In addition to water and proteins, mucus also contains antibodies, enzymes, and electrolytes. These substances help to fight off infections and maintain the balance of fluids in the body.

4. Is mucus always a sign of illness?

No, mucus is a normal and necessary bodily secretion. It is only when there is an excessive amount of mucus, or when it is a different color or consistency, that it may be a sign of an underlying illness or infection.

5. How can I reduce excessive mucus production?

If you are experiencing excess mucus production, it is important to identify and address the underlying cause. This may include avoiding irritants such as smoke or allergens, staying hydrated, and using over-the-counter medications to thin the mucus. In some cases, a doctor may prescribe medication to help reduce mucus production.