Question about gas turbine instrumentaion if u can

In summary: Thank you everyone for your help.In summary, the alarm notification that the engineer received indicated that a thermocouple had failed. The thermocouple was located in the exhaust of the turbine and needed to be replaced.
transporter84
hi everyone:
i have a question about gas turbines :

i am working as instrumentation engineer( beggar ) at a power station .. we use gas turbine GE ( mark V) frame 9 .

i got that alarm : exhaust thermocouple # 10 fail , drop number 123

if anybody working in such a field can help me in analysis & solving that problem i will really approtiate that .

thank u so much

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not sure anyone here (at the moment) is using the technology.

Here is the page for GE tech manuals. http://gepower.com/online_tools/tech_manuals.htm

I would think that part of the turbine/plant purchase would include manuals with warning messages/alarms and the appropriate actions to be taken.

Why not contact GE technical support directly?

Maybe I'm pointing out the obvious but it seems to me that you have a failed thermocouple that needs to be replaced.

CS

Can you be more specific about the alarm notification you received? Does that mean that you simply lost the TC, i.e. it is now open, or you are actually seeing high EGTs?

thank u everyone who care , about the alarm .. i wrote it as i saw it exactly .. nomore .. no less

As stewartcs indicated, the thermocouple could have simply failed, in which case it needs to be replaced. I'm not familiar with that T/C or Frame 9 turbine, but if it's hot (exhaust) this presumably would require that the unit be shutdown.

Is the thermocouple in the a well? Could the well have been breached (ostensibly due to erosion/corrosion)? Has the T/C reached it's lifetime or the min expected lifetime? Are there redundant T/C's?

Definitely contact GE they should be able to help you immediately. At least that is how it works at Rolls Royce with the industrial RB211 and Trend series. Also Astronuc makes a good point, maybe direct replacement is not an necessity usually there are two or three exhaust thermocouples and there should be standard protocol if it should be replaced immediately or not.

Here is a picture from a GE gas turbine data analysis system, I hope it may help.
More pictures can be found at http://www.leiosoft.com/ana/screen_en_win.htm"

http://www.leiosoft.com/ana/win/eng/Snap4.png

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I've seen thermocouples do fail but more often than not it is the wiring/connectors. Check the readings from any points you can between monitoring system and the actual thermocouple. Probably just a loose connector caused by constant vibrations.

Whatever it is you are going to need to go through troubleshooting to find it.

Considering that this thread is just about 10 months old, I doubt the OP will be checking back.

Hmm, guess he solved the problem then :)

What is a gas turbine?

A gas turbine is a type of engine that converts the energy from a flow of burning fuel into mechanical energy. This mechanical energy is then used to power various machines and equipment.

What is the purpose of instrumentation in a gas turbine?

The instrumentation in a gas turbine is used to measure and monitor various parameters and variables such as temperature, pressure, and fuel flow. This data is crucial for maintaining the proper functioning and efficiency of the turbine.

What are the main components of gas turbine instrumentation?

The main components of gas turbine instrumentation include sensors, transmitters, controllers, and displays. Sensors measure the physical parameters, transmitters convert the sensor readings into electrical signals, controllers process the signals, and displays provide visual representation of the data.

How does gas turbine instrumentation improve performance?

Gas turbine instrumentation allows for real-time monitoring and adjustment of various parameters, which helps to optimize the performance of the turbine. It also provides valuable data for maintenance and troubleshooting, ensuring that the turbine operates at its best.

What are some common challenges in gas turbine instrumentation?

Some common challenges in gas turbine instrumentation include accuracy and reliability of measurements, compatibility with different types of turbines, and dealing with extreme operating conditions such as high temperatures and pressures.