Can You Help with These Integer Algebra Homework Questions?

In summary, if you have a number that is evenly divisible by both m and n, then the number is divisible by m if and only if it is divisible by n.
Matthollyw00d
First Question:
Let Nn be the integer whose decimal expansion consists of n consecutive ones. For example, N2=11 and N7=1,111,111. Show that Nn|Nm iff n|m.

Second Question:
If (a,c)=1, prove that (a,bc)=(a,b).

On the second question I can see that it is true because a and c are relatively prime, I realize that ax1+bx2=1, but I'm having difficulty expressing it in a proof satisfactory way. I think I'm just over looking a fact somewhere in my text.

As for the first one, I'm not very certain as to where at all to start, so any and all help here would be appreciated.

Note that I'm not really wanting the full proof of either, more or less just a few helpful pointers or some key facts that are needed that I'm missing; something to get me started so I can get a better attempt at it.

If anything is unclear, I'll be happy to restate it in a more satisfactory format if possible.

Thanks all.
Thanks all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Matthollyw00d! :smile:

You're making this far too complicated …
Matthollyw00d said:
First Question:
Let Nn be the integer whose decimal expansion consists of n consecutive ones. For example, N2=11 and N7=1,111,111. Show that Nn|Nm iff n|m.

Second Question:
If (a,c)=1, prove that (a,bc)=(a,b).

For the first one, just divide … what is the remainder?

For the second, write a = np, b = nq, bc = nqc … :wink:

Would this be sufficient for the first one:

Assume Nn|Nm, then (t)Nn=Nm, t≥1. For all m,n≥1, there exists q,r such that m=qn + r, 0≤r<n.
Next assume m does not divide n, therefore 1≤r<n.
Thus Nm=Nqn+r=10r(s)Nn+Nr
Then, (t)Nn=Nqn+r=10r(s)Nn+Nr
Thus, Nr=Nn(t-s10r)=Nn(d), d≥1, which implies r≥n, which contradicts our hypothesis of r<n.
Thus Nn|Nm iff n|m.

Matthollyw00d said:
Would this be sufficient for the first one:

Assume Nn|Nm, then (t)Nn=Nm, t≥1. For all m,n≥1, there exists q,r such that m=qn + r, 0≤r<n.
Next assume m does not divide n, therefore 1≤r<n.
Thus Nm=Nqn+r=10r(s)Nn+Nr
Then, (t)Nn=Nqn+r=10r(s)Nn+Nr
Thus, Nr=Nn(t-s10r)=Nn(d), d≥1, which implies r≥n, which contradicts our hypothesis of r<n.
Thus Nn|Nm iff n|m.
If you work out a couple of divisions as a grade school student is taught a simpler proof should be apparent. First try [tex]/N_6/N_2[/tex] to get 010101. Then Try [tex]N_8/N_4[/tex] to get 00010001. Now what would the result of [tex]N_20/N_5[/tex] be?

ramsey2879 said:
If you work out a couple of divisions as a grade school student is taught a simpler proof should be apparent. First try [tex]/N_6/N_2[/tex] to get 010101. Then Try [tex]N_8/N_4[/tex] to get 00010001. Now what would the result of [tex]N_2_0/N_5[/tex] be?
But I'm not seeing a proof that is simpler than what I did unfortunately. =/

Matthollyw00d said:
But I'm not seeing a proof that is simpler than what I did unfortunately. =/
Assume 0 < r < n
[tex]m = tn + r[/tex]
[tex]N_{m} = N_{m} - (10^{(t-1)*n + r})*N_{n} \mod N_n[/tex]
[tex]N_{m} = N_{m-n} \mod N_{n}[/tex]
[tex]N_{m} = N_{m-n} - (10^{t-2}*n + r})*N_{n} \mod N_n[/tex]
[tex]0 = N_{m-2n} \mod N_{n}[/tex]
[tex]0 = N_{m - tn} \mod N_n[/tex]
[tex]0 = N_{r} \mod N_n[/tex]
[tex] r = 0 [/tex]

Last edited:
That would be why I didn't see it, I've yet to learn Modular Arithmetic.

ramsey2879 said:
Assume 0 < r < n
[tex]m = tn + r[/tex]
[tex]N_{m} = N_{m} - (10^{(t-1)*n + r})*N_{n} \mod N_n[/tex]
[tex]N_{m} = N_{m-n} \mod N_{n}[/tex]
[tex]N_{m} = N_{m-n} - (10^{t-2}*n + r})*N_{n} \mod N_n[/tex]
[tex]0 = N_{m-2n} \mod N_{n}[/tex]
[tex]0 = N_{m - tn} \mod N_n[/tex]
[tex]0 = N_{r} \mod N_n[/tex]
[tex] r = 0 [/tex]

redoing this
[tex]m = tn + r[/tex]
If [tex]N_{n}|N_{m}[/tex] then [tex]N_{n}[/tex] also divides:
[tex]N_{m} - (10^{(t-1)*n + r})*N_{n} [/tex] which has the same remainder i.e., zero But that is [tex] N_{m-n} [/tex] since you just removed the first n [tex]1[/tex]'s. This is simply going through the longhand division process as the divisor multiplied by [tex]10[/tex] to the appropiiate power removes the n most righthand [tex]1[/tex]'s. When doing longhand division in this manner you are not changing the ultimate remainder so we can say that the new term [tex]N_{m-n} = N_{m} \mod N_n[/tex] (i.e. they have the same remainder if divided by [tex]N_n[/tex]).
Likewise we continue the longhand division process by removing the next n most righthand [tex]1[/tex]'s and so on until we removed t*n [tex]1[/tex]'s. The resulting number comprises r [tex]1[/tex]'s and has the same remainder as the original number. So we say [tex]N_{m} = N_{r} \mod N_n[/tex] iff [tex]m = r \mod n[/tex]. Since n|m, r = zero is the only possible r less than n.

1. What is integer algebra?

Integer algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with mathematical operations involving integers, which are whole numbers (positive, negative, and zero).

2. How do I solve equations involving integers?

To solve equations involving integers, you can use the same rules and principles as regular algebra. You can combine like terms, use the distributive property, and perform operations on both sides of the equation to isolate the variable.

3. What are the basic operations in integer algebra?

The basic operations in integer algebra are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations follow the same rules as regular algebra, except that there are specific rules for dealing with negative numbers.

4. What are the rules for adding and subtracting integers?

The rule for adding integers is that when you add two integers with the same sign, you add their absolute values and keep the sign. When you add two integers with different signs, you subtract their absolute values and keep the sign of the larger number. The rule for subtracting integers is to add the opposite of the number being subtracted.

5. How do I multiply and divide integers?

Multiplying integers follows the same rules as regular algebra, except that a negative times a negative is a positive. Dividing integers involves multiplying by the reciprocal, and the same rule for negative numbers applies. When dividing by a negative number, the signs will change.