Name of Alkane [Pic Included]

• Thread starter deteam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed identifying the name for an alkane based on the number of carbon and hydrogen atoms present. The correct name was determined to be 3-ethyl-5-methyloctane, with some confusion over the use of punctuation in the name.
deteam

Homework Statement

2lswshs.jpg

Enter the name for the above alkane.

Homework Equations

How to count Carbons and Hydrogen's.

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer was "Undecane" because I counted 11 Carbons and 24 Hydrogens but it says I am wrong. Any Idea?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FIND THE LONGEST STRAIGHT CHAIN OF CARBONS. After that,... adjust the name according to the branches.

Big hint: 11 is NOT the number of carbons in the longest chain.

Last edited:
so the longest chain has 8 carbon atoms, with an ethyl group coming off the 3rd atom, and a methyl group coming off the 5th atom. SO...

3-ethyl 5-methyl octane ?

deteam said:
so the longest chain has 8 carbon atoms, with an ethyl group coming off the 3rd atom, and a methyl group coming off the 5th atom. SO...

3-ethyl 5-methyl octane ?

Good for the identification details. I'm no longer sure about the punctuation; maybe someone else will say. (Maybe a quick review in wikipedia?)

OK, I know you nearly had it perfectly.

3-ethyl-5-methyloctane

symbolipoint said:
OK, I know you nearly had it perfectly.

3-ethyl-5-methyloctane

hi...i just get a bit confused on when to use the brackets and commas in a name or not...

symbolipoint said:
Good for the identification details. I'm no longer sure about the punctuation; maybe someone else will say. (Maybe a quick review in wikipedia?)

thanks you . .

1. What is the name of this alkane?

The name of this alkane is propane. It is a three-carbon alkane with the chemical formula C3H8.

2. What is the molecular structure of propane?

Propane has a linear molecular structure, with each carbon atom bonded to three hydrogen atoms. The four atoms are arranged in a straight line, with a bond angle of 109.5 degrees between each carbon-hydrogen bond.

3. What are the physical properties of propane?

Propane is a colorless, odorless gas at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. It has a boiling point of -42 degrees Celsius and a melting point of -187 degrees Celsius. It is highly flammable and can be compressed into a liquid form for storage and transportation.

4. How is propane used?

Propane is primarily used as a fuel source for heating, cooking, and transportation. It is also used in the production of plastics, synthetic rubber, and other chemicals. Propane is also a popular alternative fuel for vehicles, as it burns cleaner and produces less emissions compared to gasoline or diesel.

5. What are the potential hazards of propane?

Propane is highly flammable and can pose a fire or explosion risk if not handled properly. It is also a simple asphyxiant, meaning it can displace oxygen in confined spaces and lead to suffocation. Inhaling high concentrations of propane can also cause dizziness, nausea, and loss of consciousness.