Specific heat at constant pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about the change in specific heat at constant pressure (Cp) with an increase in pressure at a constant temperature. The participants mention that most books only provide values for Cp at 1 atm pressure and a wide range of temperatures, and that there may be a polynomial that describes the change in Cp with both pressure and temperature. They also mention a classic problem in thermodynamics that relates Cp to the second derivative of volume with temperature, and recommend Zemansky's book as a reference.
rabbahs
Dear Forum members,

I have a bit confusion about the "Specific Heat at constant pressure".

Normally it only varies with the temperature (As given by many book at their Appendixs). But these values are only given at 1 atm pressure and with a wide range of temperature. Most of the books also specify the polynomial related to the specific heat (that only change with temperature, because pressure is held fixed at 1 atm).

My question is that what happen to Cp when the pressure increase from 1 atm to 5 atm at constant temperature. is Cp increase with increase or decrease of pressure ??

I know that its sounds bit odd that asking for Cp (which is indeed sp. heat at CONSTANT PRESSURE)

is there any polynomial which describe the change of Cp with both pressure and temperature ?

Please also view the attached file which clearly shows that Cp is changing with pressure.

I want to know that polynomial having both temperature and pressure.

Thanks alot

nist.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know if this will get you anywhere, but the change in [itex]C_P[/itex] with pressure is a classic problem in thermo (I remember getting it on an exam before I was familiar with it):

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial C_P}{\partial P}\right)_T=\frac{\partial}{\partial P}\left[\left(T\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_P\right]_T=T\frac{\partial}{\partial P}\left[\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_P\right]_T=T\frac{\partial}{\partial T}\left[\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial P}\right)_T\right]_P[/tex]

Then we use a Maxwell relation to get

[tex]T\frac{\partial}{\partial T}\left[\left(-\frac{\partial V}{\partial T}\right)_P\right]_P=-T\left(\frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial T^2}\right)_P[/tex]

Thus, the change you're looking for is related to the second derivative of volume with temperature. This is zero for an ideal gas, but it may get you somewhere if you have a constitutive equation for a real gas.

thanks Mapes, i will look it to these equations and let you know

could you kindly give me the reference of the book in which these relations related to specific heat are discussed ??

Actually, nearly every thermodynamics book will define specific heat and explain Maxwell relations. Zemansky is pretty good.

thanks

What is specific heat at constant pressure?

Specific heat at constant pressure is a measure of the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by 1 degree Celsius while keeping the pressure constant.

How is specific heat at constant pressure different from specific heat at constant volume?

The main difference between specific heat at constant pressure and specific heat at constant volume is that specific heat at constant volume measures the heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance while keeping the volume constant, whereas specific heat at constant pressure measures the heat energy required to raise the temperature while keeping the pressure constant.

What factors affect the value of specific heat at constant pressure?

The value of specific heat at constant pressure is affected by the type of substance, its mass, and its temperature. Generally, substances with a larger molar mass have a higher specific heat at constant pressure, and the specific heat at constant pressure increases as the temperature of the substance increases.

Why is specific heat at constant pressure important in thermodynamics?

Specific heat at constant pressure is important in thermodynamics because it is used to calculate the amount of heat energy required in a chemical reaction or a physical process. It is also used in the calculation of enthalpy changes and in determining the efficiency of heat engines.

How is specific heat at constant pressure measured?

Specific heat at constant pressure is usually measured through experiments using a calorimeter. The substance whose specific heat is being measured is placed in the calorimeter, and the amount of heat energy required to raise its temperature by a certain amount is measured. This measurement is then used to calculate the specific heat at constant pressure.