What is the limit of the sequence gn and its relation to \sqrt5?

In summary, the conversation discusses the sequence g_n and its limit as n approaches infinity. The participants explore different approaches and eventually find a solution involving the golden ratio. The summary also includes a simplified expression for g_n.
asmani
Hi all

Suppose that [itex]a_1=\sqrt5[/itex], [itex]a_{n+1}=a_n^2-2[/itex] and [itex]g_n=\frac{a_1a_2...a_n}{a_{n+1}}[/itex].
Evaluate [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty } g_n[/itex].

I have seen some information in http://oeis.org/search?q=3,7,47,2207&sort=&language=english&go=Search". Besides, the sequence gn seems as a good rational approximation for [itex]\sqrt5[/itex]. I know that the answer is 1, But I can't find any nice solution. Any hint is strongly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have yet to study recurrence relations for myself, but I played around with it for a bit and it seems like it was headed in the right direction.

[tex]g_n=\frac{a_1a_2...a_n}{a_n^2-2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{a_n^2\left(\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_n}\right)-2\left(\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_n}\right)+2\left(\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_n}\right)}{a_n^2-2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{\left(a_n^2-2\right)\left(\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_n}\right)+2\left(\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_n}\right)}{a_n^2-2}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_n}+2\frac{a_1a_2...a_{n-1}}{a_na_{n+1}}[/tex]

[tex]=g_{n-1}+\frac{2}{a_n^2}g_n[/tex]

Hence we can express gn in terms of gn-1, and the factor multiplying gn-1 seems to say a lot about what gn is as n gets very large.

Thanks. I can't see what does it say about gn. Can you help me on this?

I found out how to show that:
[tex]a_n=\frac{\varphi ^{2^n}-\varphi ^{-2^n}}{\varphi ^{2^{n-1}}-\varphi ^{-2^{n-1}}}[/tex]
And then the rest is easy. But I'm still looking for a more elegant solution.

Hmm, after looking at it a bit more I realize it's really not telling us as much as I originally thought.

After solving for gn in

[tex]g_n=g_{n-1}+\frac{2}{a^2_n-2}g_n[/tex] to obtain

[tex]g_n=\frac{a_n^2}{a_n^2-2}g_{n-1}[/tex]

I was simply arguing that the factor approaches 1 as n gets large, but this doesn't really tell us about the limit of gn...

hi asmani! :smile:
asmani said:
I found out how to show that:
[tex]a_n=\frac{\varphi ^{2^n}-\varphi ^{-2^n}}{\varphi ^{2^{n-1}}-\varphi ^{-2^{n-1}}}[/tex]
And then the rest is easy. But I'm still looking for a more elegant solution.

reverse-engineering that expression, we get

an = sinh(C2n)/sinh(C2n-1) = 2cosh(C2n-1)​

sooo … try defining an = 2coshbn :wink:

Thanks. I think it's better not to simplify the fraction to get:
[tex]g_n=a_1a_2\cdots a_n\frac{1}{a_{n+1}}=\frac{\sinh(C2^1) }{\sinh(C2^0)}\frac{\sinh(C2^2) }{\sinh(C2^1)}\cdots \frac{\sinh(C2^n) }{\sinh(C2^{n-1})}\frac{\sinh(C2^n) }{\sinh(C2^{n+1})}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{\sinh^2(C2^n) }{\sinh(C2^0)\sinh(C2^{n+1})}[/tex]
Where C=Log(φ).
And now calculating the limit is easy.

Sorry about wasting your time asmani, I should've left it to the big guys :biggrin:

No, I appreciate your participation in this thread. :smile:

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence or series by relating each term to one or more previous terms. It is a way to recursively calculate the values of a sequence based on its previous terms.

2. How is a recurrence relation different from a regular equation?

A recurrence relation calculates the value of a sequence based on its previous terms, while a regular equation directly calculates the value of a variable based on other variables or constants.

3. What are some real-world applications of recurrence relations?

Recurrence relations are commonly used in computer science and engineering to model and analyze algorithms and data structures. They are also used in physics to describe the motion of objects, and in biology to model population growth and genetics.

4. How do you solve a recurrence relation?

There are various methods for solving recurrence relations, including substitution, iteration, and generating functions. The method used will depend on the complexity and type of the recurrence relation.

5. Can a recurrence relation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a recurrence relation can have multiple solutions. This is because there can be multiple ways to recursively calculate the values of a sequence based on its previous terms. However, some recurrence relations may have a unique closed-form solution.