Deciphering a Potentially Insulting Hungarian Phrase

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, someone heard a phrase in Hungarian and is unsure of what it means. They believe it might be a swear or insult and try to find a translation.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
A laughable request but, what harm can come?

Someone had something like this phrase said to them. It is Hungarian. Spelling is a total guess (Did I mention it was said, not written?)

Does it mean anything to you? Apparently, it might be a cuss, swear or insult.

Bosameg abonyed

Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
A laughable request but, what harm can come?

Someone had something like this phrase said to them. It is Hungarian. Spelling is a total guess (Did I mention it was said, not written?)

Does it mean anything to you? Apparently, it might be a cuss, swear or insult.

Bosameg abonyed
Could it be this? bocsásd meg a bonyolít - forgive the complication

Yes it is my mother language.

GTOM said:

Good, I am going to hijack the thread then :biggrin:

This is a picture I took in Tokaj last year. Can you translate?

IMG_3916.jpg

We tried Google translator, but somehow I was never fully convinced by the results.

The wine is good and tasty
Use this jar to taste it

Well lyuk is hole literally, but i guess it doesn't sound really good.

Thanks.

Looking at the jar "hole" makes sense - perhaps it doesn't sound good in translation, but pun in obvious.

:rofl:

Jimmy Snyder said:
Could it be this? bocsásd meg a bonyolít - forgive the complication

Sorry Jimmy. Didn't see this before now.

That sure looks like it could be what was heard.

Thanks!

GTOM said:

So, what is your opinion on my phrase? And ideas what a Hungarian might commonly say?

Bosameg abonyed

I can't say i clearly understand that, but first part looks like f*** (Bassza meg)
abonyed?? Maybe your mother?? (anyad)

In the case it is an insult. Without a context i may misunderstand this...

Bocsásd meg maybe? (Forgive)

abonyed?? bonyolít? Forgive for making things harder??

What is the best way to learn Hungarian?

The best way to learn Hungarian is to immerse yourself in the language by practicing speaking, listening, reading, and writing as much as possible. It is also helpful to find a native speaker or take a language course to receive feedback and guidance.

Is Hungarian a difficult language to learn?

Hungarian is considered a difficult language for English speakers to learn due to its complex grammar and unique vocabulary. However, with dedication and consistent practice, it is possible to become proficient in Hungarian.

What are some useful resources for learning Hungarian?

There are many resources available for learning Hungarian, such as textbooks, online courses, language exchange programs, and mobile apps. It is important to find a resource that fits your learning style and offers comprehensive lessons and practice exercises.

How long does it take to become fluent in Hungarian?

The time it takes to become fluent in Hungarian varies for each individual and depends on factors such as prior language learning experience and the amount of time dedicated to practicing. On average, it may take 2-4 years to become fluent in Hungarian.

Can I practice speaking Hungarian even if I don't live in Hungary?

Yes, you can practice speaking Hungarian even if you don't live in Hungary. There are online communities and language exchange programs that allow you to connect with native Hungarian speakers and practice speaking through video calls or messaging. It is also helpful to find local language groups or events in your area to practice speaking with others in person.