Length of the column where buckling is likely to occur

In summary: Euler's stress-strain theorem states that the effective stress (E) and strain (S) are proportional to the square of the modulus (M) of the material:E = M*S. This theorem can be used to calculate the effective length (L) of a material subject to an applied load:L = E*(kL).
mattyh3

Homework Statement

i am struggling with a question i have.. i can't find the right equation to use to find what the minimum length of the column at which buckling is likely to occur??
can anyone offer any help with this as my lesson books show me nothing on how you find length?
i have D=80mm d=60mm
youngs modulus 200GNm-2
yield stress 140MNm-2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• img007.jpg
    img007.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 826
Physics news on Phys.org
The minimum length at which the column will buckle depends on the applied axial compressive load which is not given...

The question seems to be a tube. IN that case there are at least two modes of buckling. First, there is the overall buckling of the member as if it were a long thin rod and Euler's formula might be said to apply. But this could be preceded by a local buckling of the tube, especially if it is thin in relation to the diameter. I think you are probably looking to apply the Euler equation of buckling, in which you will be interested in the EFFECTIVE length.

pongo38 said:
The question seems to be a tube. IN that case there are at least two modes of buckling. First, there is the overall buckling of the member as if it were a long thin rod and Euler's formula might be said to apply. But this could be preceded by a local buckling of the tube, especially if it is thin in relation to the diameter. I think you are probably looking to apply the Euler equation of buckling, in which you will be interested in the EFFECTIVE length.

well at present i am trying to find the length so been looking at using these...

to find I... I = (D^4-d^4)*pi / 64
and for area,,,, A = (D^2-d^2)*pi / 4

E.S.R = (sq) (pi^2*E)/oc(critical stress)
and then
L = E.S.R * (sq) I/A

am i going down the right route with these as someone has told me the answer for length 5.94 but i need to find it my self as i can't just put that lol

PhanthomJay said:
The minimum length at which the column will buckle depends on the applied axial compressive load which is not given...
Since P_cr = pi^2(EI)/(kL)^2, you cannot solve for the effective length unless you know the value of the compressive load. Are you sure you have stated the problem correctly as worded?

Edit: Maybe the problem is looking for the max length before buckling occurs prior to the material reaching its yield stress?? If so, P_cr = (yield stress)*A, then solve for L using the buckling formula for a fixed-fixed column. I can't do the math...too many zeros.

Last edited:
my question i have says... what is the minimum length of the column at which buckling is likely to occur ... and the values i have put down are all i have on the sheet..
then i have what will mode of failure be and at what load..

i have included an image of my workings out so far for length,, which i have seen on the internet that 5.94 is the length just needed to find it myself... could anyone confirm this?

Attachments

• img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 1,159
Last edited:
I painstakingly did the math and i get about 6 meters length when the column buckles at yield stress [itex]\sigma_{cr} = \sigma_y[/itex] , hope the math is Ok but in any event the problem statement is poorly worded.

That all pans out. I get the same.

Isn't the diagram in post 1 a annulus? which would mean that second moment of area formula is pi (R^4 - r^4) / 4?

andytb1232000 said:
Isn't the diagram in post 1 a annulus? which would mean that second moment of area formula is pi (R^4 - r^4) / 4?
Hi there newbie, at this time we wish to welcome you to these Forums!:smile:

Yes, sir, pi (R^4 - r^4) / 4 is the same as pi(D^4-d^4)/ 64:wink:

mattyh3 said:
my question i have says... what is the minimum length of the column at which buckling is likely to occur ... and the values i have put down are all i have on the sheet..
then i have what will mode of failure be and at what load..

i have included an image of my workings out so far for length,, which i have seen on the internet that 5.94 is the length just needed to find it myself... could anyone confirm this?

Hi: What does E.S.R stand for in your calculations?

Hi,

Can anyone please help me with this question, it is driving me mad. I don't have the compressive load value, and so Eulers formula is useless :-( I have looked at MATYYH3's answer and don't understand what E.S.R is. :-(

Please can someone just nudge me in the right direction?

Thanks

John Kendrick said:
Hi,

Can anyone please help me with this question, it is driving me mad. I don't have the compressive load value, and so Eulers formula is useless :-( I have looked at MATYYH3's answer and don't understand what E.S.R is. :-(

Please can someone just nudge me in the right direction?

Thanks
ESR, a dimensionless number, stands for Effective Slenderness Ratio, and is equal to kL/r, where L is the length of the column, r is its radius of gyration, and k is a function of the end boundary conditions (k = 0.5 for a fixed-fixed column). The radius of gyration, r, is sq rt of (I/A).

For this problem, not clearly worded, in calculating the minimum length for buckling, the problem is looking for the max length before buckling occurs prior to the material reaching its yield stress. Thus critical buckling stress is set equal to yield stress. So the critical compressive buckling load to use is (yield stress*crossection area).

When dealing with buckling stresses, it is sometimes preferred to re-write the critical buckling stress formula , PI^2EI/(A(kL)^2) , as PI^2E/(kL/r)^2, or PI^2E/(ESR)^2, although more often than not it can sometimes confuse the issues.

1. What is buckling and why does it occur?

Buckling is a phenomenon in which a structural member, such as a column, fails due to compressive stress. It occurs when the load on the column exceeds its critical load, causing it to bend or deform.

2. How do you calculate the critical load for a column?

The critical load for a column can be calculated using the Euler buckling formula, which takes into account the material properties and dimensions of the column. It is important to note that the actual critical load may be lower due to imperfections in the column's material or construction.

3. What factors affect the length of the column where buckling is likely to occur?

The length of the column where buckling is likely to occur depends on several factors, including the material properties of the column, its cross-sectional area, and the type of boundary conditions at its ends. Additionally, the applied load and the column's slenderness ratio (ratio of length to diameter) also play a role in determining the critical length.

4. Is there a specific length threshold for buckling to occur in a column?

No, there is not a specific length threshold for buckling to occur in a column. The critical length for buckling is dependent on the factors mentioned above and can vary for different types of columns and loading conditions.

5. How can buckling be prevented in columns?

Buckling can be prevented in columns by ensuring that the applied load does not exceed the critical load, or by reinforcing the column with additional supports or bracing. Proper design and construction techniques, as well as regular maintenance, can also help prevent buckling from occurring.