Finding initial velocity for projectile motion at 0 degrees

In summary, the individual is trying to solve a projectile motion problem involving a foam bullet launched at 0 degrees with unknown initial velocity and time. They have attempted to use the motion equation (v^2)=(u^2)+2as and obtained a final velocity of 4.98m/s and a time of 1.32 seconds. However, they have realized that they may have not accounted for air resistance and are unsure if their calculations are correct. They mention using the concept of energy, specifically potential energy stored in a spring, to potentially find a more accurate result. They also mention the possibility of using a ballistic pendulum to find the speed of the bullet.
123456789@
I am doing a projectile motion problem with my own results, and the unknown's of initial velocity and time. It is at 0 degrees, which I thought would mean I could find the vertical down of the projectile (where at an angle you find the vertical up and down because it goes up first). I have tried multiple ways but I am not sure if what I am doing is right.

The foam bullet is launched from a height of 1.266metres and travels a length of 6.55metres at 0°.

∴Vertical Down

Acceleration due to gravity (a) = -9.8m/s
Final velocity (v) = 0
Initial velocity (u) = ?
Time taken (t) = ?
Displacement down (s) = 1.266

Therefore I decided to use the motion equation (v^2)=(u^2)+2as
And when calculated results in u equalling 4.98m/s

And therefore distance/speed=t
6.55/4.98=1.32seconds

However, my problem when I get to this stage is that other foam bullets of slightly different weight etc have completely different distances, therefore different times, but with this calculation apparently the same velocity.

So my problem is I do not know whether I am on the right track or not, or have completely messed it up. Thankyou in advanced for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
123456789@ said:
I am doing a projectile motion problem with my own results, and the unknown's of initial velocity and time. It is at 0 degrees, which I thought would mean I could find the vertical down of the projectile (where at an angle you find the vertical up and down because it goes up first). I have tried multiple ways but I am not sure if what I am doing is right.

The foam bullet is launched from a height of 1.266metres and travels a length of 6.55metres at 0°.

∴Vertical Down

Acceleration due to gravity (a) = -9.8m/s
Final velocity (v) = 0
Initial velocity (u) = ?
Time taken (t) = ?
Displacement down (s) = 1.266

6.55/4.98=1.32seconds

However, my problem when I get to this stage is that other foam bullets of slightly different weight etc have completely different distances, therefore different times, but with this calculation apparently the same velocity.

So my problem is I do not know whether I am on the right track or not, or have completely messed it up. Thankyou in advanced for your help!

You don't seem to have allowed/accounted for air resistance. For objects of the same shape and speed, air resistance has less effect on an object of greater mass.

Try just dropping the "bullets" and see which one reaches the ground first. That will give you some idea of the influence of air resistance.btw. an object dropped from 1.2m will take much less than 1 second to reach the ground, in the absence of air resistance. A projectile fired at 0o will take the same time - in the absence of air resistance.

Sorry I forgot to mention the bullets are fired from the same gun each time and the weight difference is about 0.2 grams maximum and the distances are ranging from 5.99m to 8.87m.

I am not exactly sure how to incorporate air resistance into the equation, but there could also be an interference factor as well couldn't there? It is a gun like a basic nerf gun that the bullets are firing from.

And are my calculation correct or is there another factor I am missing or should have, I might be able to calculate the elastic potential energy but I am not certain if and how it would help.

Thankyou for your speedy reply.

6.55/4.98=1.32seconds
------------------------------------------------
You are calculating final velocity not initial velocity u.
If a body is dropped, in 1 sec. it will travel 4.9m

okkay, so if I change it so I am calculating final velocity, won't it be the same?

You can't get identical initial velocity even for the same bullet and gun with different weight load.
Energy produced by the gun remain constant. E=1/2 mv2
Reduced mass means higher velocity.

Yes, that makes sense. But how could that be incorporated to find the velocity? Could that be used instead of projectiles?

Sorry i do not know about guns and bullets. Never touch a gun before.
Using ballistic pendulum is another way of finding the speed of a bullet.

I just mean incorporating the energy into the physics equation to get a more accurate result. It is only a toy gun so all I know is what results don't sound right. So in terms of equations, would that result in an accurate answer?

If the toy gun is using a spring as a method of propulsion then you can find the potential energy stored when the spring is fully compressed(cocked).

So if I find this I can find the velocity using E=1/2mv^2 instead of projectile. However it should be similar to the projectile? And was my projectile calculation correct for 0 degrees or should I have incorporated the horizontal distance?

Thankyou very much for your help.

1. What is initial velocity in projectile motion at 0 degrees?

Initial velocity in projectile motion at 0 degrees refers to the velocity at which an object is launched or thrown horizontally from a certain point. It is the starting speed of the object and is represented by the symbol 'u'.

2. How is initial velocity calculated for projectile motion at 0 degrees?

The initial velocity for projectile motion at 0 degrees can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where 'v' is the final velocity, 'u' is the initial velocity, 'a' is the acceleration, and 't' is the time.

3. Why is initial velocity important in projectile motion at 0 degrees?

Initial velocity is important in projectile motion at 0 degrees because it determines the path and distance of the projectile. It also plays a crucial role in calculating the final velocity and the time taken for the object to reach its maximum height.

4. Can initial velocity be negative in projectile motion at 0 degrees?

Yes, initial velocity can be negative in projectile motion at 0 degrees. This indicates that the object is launched in the opposite direction of the positive x-axis. Negative initial velocity can also occur when the object is thrown downwards from a certain height.

5. How does initial velocity affect the trajectory of a projectile at 0 degrees?

The initial velocity has a significant impact on the trajectory of a projectile at 0 degrees. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer horizontal distance and a longer flight time, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter horizontal distance and a shorter flight time.