Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

In summary, the weather is gradually changing from cold to warmer temperatures. The forecast for tomorrow predicts that there will be winds between 20 and 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph. This will create significant blowing and drifting of snow with near blizzard conditions possible at times. Visibilities will be reduced to below one half mile, making roads near impossible to travel on. The cold wind chill values will be widespread, ranging from 20 to 30 below zero. There is a potential for life-threatening situations due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Additionally, my aunt and uncle own a large strawberry farm and citrus orchard near Tampa, FL and stand to lose the entire crop due to the hard long freeze.
We had snow last night. It got washed away in heavy rains this morning. Currently, it is quite damp and cold outside. I don't if we will see 45 deg F today.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is snowing right now.

Pretty early. There is a saying here that Saint Martin comes on a white horse - that is, first snow comes on November 11th. For obvious reasons I do watch what happens on 11.11 - and I think in the last 50 years it happened just once, first snow was always coming later.

But it is still slightly above freezing, +1 deg C.

-40 is coming soon

Right now, it's -18C (-0.4F), and we have had 25 cm (10 inches) of snow in the last few days. In October! It's going to be a wintery Halloween for my six-year-old daughter.

I'm leaving for a 55 minute walk (20 minutes to Tim Hortons, then 35 minutes to work).

It's warming up rapidly, with torrential rains and T-storms. Not such a bad aftermath to a hurricane.

turbo said:
It's warming up rapidly, with torrential rains and T-storms. Not such a bad aftermath to a hurricane.
The bold text reflects the reason for my desire to have hurricanes in Kansas. Well this result of one i.e.

We woke up to heavy wet snow this morning. Thankfully, the frosts and winds stripped most of the leaves off the trees, so the snow didn't snap the trees and take out our power.

Lately here in Vegas it's still been hot/shorts weather even into November. It's irritating.

But today we have tons of wind, ominous looking clouds and much cooler temperatures. More like fall should be!

We had about 2 inches of snow and no wind. There's a downed tree that damaged one of the shingles on my garage. The tree is very close to the garage and leaning against it so it still looks like it's standing. It may have fallen during Sandy but I didn't notice it until today. My insurance has a $1000 deductible so this won't be covered.

Just walked back from tea at Tim Hortons. Temperature is -20C (-4F).

Still some snow on the ground in sheltered places... I guess winter is here.

High in the mid 70's again today. I had to run the air conditioner yesterday. Supposed to start cooling off again tomorrow after a storm tonight.

George Jones said:
Just walked back from tea at Tim Hortons. Temperature is -20C (-4F).

Wow, where are you? Resolute Bay, Thule?.

Rain rain rain rain rain, our creek is a river. A moderate flow is normally about 30 cubic feet per second. This morning it was probably pushing 200 cfs. And it was roaring! Gets a little worrisome because I have foot bridge that badly needs replacing and new anchors set. If we lose the DTV signal, the first thing I'll do is look to see if the bridge is still there.

Ivan Seeking said:
Rain rain rain rain rain, our creek is a river. A moderate flow is normally about 30 cubic feet per second. This morning it was probably pushing 200 cfs. And it was roaring! Gets a little worrisome because I have foot bridge that badly needs replacing and new anchors set. If we lose the DTV signal, the first thing I'll do is look to see if the bridge is still there.
Yikes! And we need rain so bad.

Evo said:
Yikes! And we need rain so bad.

We started late but then the rain came on with a vengence. in fact this is the first time in over 20 years that we've seen the creek come back from just one rain storm. Usually it takes several. Sometimes it's back by mid september but this year it was late October I think... Trying to remember, I think about three weeks ago.

We had flooding in our area last night.

Ivan Seeking said:
We started late but then the rain came on with a vengence. in fact this is the first time in over 20 years that we've seen the creek come back from just one rain storm. Usually it takes several. Sometimes it's back by mid september but this year it was late October I think... Trying to remember, I think about three weeks ago.

We had flooding in our area last night.
I hope it stops. Or do they predict heavy snow this winter?

We get several years of flooding, then several years of drought. Last night on the news I looked up to see "16-20" of snow forecasted. Then before I fell over, the guy said "before the end of the year". Still, that's a lot of snow for us, maybe he meant end of winter, it came across as end of the year in the text.

Ivan Seeking said:
If we lose the DTV signal, the first thing I'll do is look to see if the bridge is still there.

Your DTV signal is brought to you by land? We use wireless.

Borek said:
Your DTV signal is brought to you by land? We use wireless.

In Oregon, the DTV signal is still carried by men on fast horses.

The antenna is out in the pasture on the other side of the creek.

• #1,000
Ivan Seeking said:

I can remember when my father would send me out with a bucket to fetch DTV signals.

• #1,001
Jimmy Snyder said:
I can remember when my father would send me out with a bucket to fetch DTV signals.

Yes, I remember those days. When I was a kid, I had to walk 25 miles through the snow in bare feet to fetch the signal. And it was uphill both ways.

• #1,002
Lol.

• #1,003
Ivan Seeking said:

I thought you were done with satellite TV. DirecTV for cold days outside! :wink:

• #1,004
dlgoff said:
I thought you were done with satellite TV. DirecTV for cold days outside! :wink:

? I would like to cancel the directTV but the online options aren't quite up to speed yet.

• #1,005
Ivan Seeking said:
? I would like to cancel the directTV but ...
Just remembering your long cable signal attenuation problem.

• #1,006
Back on topic. It was near 70F today! Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.

• #1,008
It's not really cold here, but it's snowing like crazy. It's coming down like the typical Nor'Easter - really heavy with big flakes.

• #1,009
Typical Maine winter weather today, swinging between snow and rain with temps in the high 30s. Once all this stuff comes down, it's a good bet that an arctic blast will come in and cement the saturated snow to everything.

• #1,010
I planned on doing some skiing here in Nova Scotia over the break, but all we've been getting recently is snow followed by rain. I should have stayed in Montreal :cry:

• #1,011
We have some very nice neighbors. Our closest neighbor just dropped in with his plow-truck and cleared the wet snow from our driveway. My wife takes him fresh-baked French bread about every weekend, so the plowing is not a surprise. He loves to pay it back.

• #1,012
PeteyCoco said:
I planned on doing some skiing here in Nova Scotia over the break, but all we've been getting recently is snow followed by rain. I should have stayed in Montreal :cry:

Lots of snow here in north-central BC. Sunday night, I went cross-country skiing with my six-year-old daughter. It was the first time either of us had been on skis of any kind.

• #1,013
George Jones said:
Lots of snow here in north-central BC. Sunday night, I went cross-country skiing with my six-year-old daughter. It was the first time either of us had been on skis of any kind.
In HS, all our school had to offer was WWII military-surplus skis. They were quite heavy and the bindings were pretty rigid and crappy. By the time our district could afford some light-weight alpine skis, a couple of us were so strong that we excelled and were top contenders.

Our school was very small, as were most of our competition, so when we had ski-meets, there was slalom, giant slalom, downhilll, cross-country skiing, showshoe races, etc, and almost every team member had to participate in all of the competitions. My graduating class was the largest ever, with 42 seniors.

• #1,014
turbo said:
Typical Maine winter weather today, swinging between snow and rain with temps in the high 30s. Once all this stuff comes down, it's a good bet that an arctic blast will come in and cement the saturated snow to everything.
I've been watching the Weather Channel and seeing your snow. I'll never forget the photograph of your home with snow up to the eves.

• #1,015
dlgoff said:
I've been watching the Weather Channel and seeing your snow. I'll never forget the photograph of your home with snow up to the eves.
We get what we get, When I was a kid, I remember shoveling well over a foot of "partially cloudy" out of our driveway. When I went away to school, my father somehow managed to buy a plow-truck. Fancy that!

<h2>1. Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather?</h2><p>Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause severe weather such as blizzards, heavy snowfall, and strong winds. These weather events can lead to dangerous conditions and potential damage to property.</p><h2>2. Can the Arctic Cold Front Cause Damage to Crops?</h2><p>Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause damage to crops, especially if they are not properly protected. Frost and freezing temperatures can harm crops and delay their growth, leading to potential economic impacts for farmers.</p><h2>3. How Does the Arctic Cold Front Form?</h2><p>The Arctic cold front forms when a mass of cold air from the Arctic region moves southward, displacing the warmer air in its path. This can occur due to changes in atmospheric pressure and wind patterns.</p><h2>4. How Long Will the Arctic Cold Front Last?</h2><p>The duration of the Arctic cold front can vary, but it typically lasts for a few days to a week. However, the impact of the cold front, such as severe weather and crop damage, can last longer depending on the severity of the front.</p><h2>5. What Precautions Should I Take During an Arctic Cold Front?</h2><p>During an Arctic cold front, it is important to stay informed about weather updates and warnings. It is also crucial to take precautions to protect yourself and your property, such as staying indoors, dressing warmly, and properly insulating your home. Farmers should also take measures to protect their crops from freezing temperatures.</p>

1. Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather?

Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause severe weather such as blizzards, heavy snowfall, and strong winds. These weather events can lead to dangerous conditions and potential damage to property.

2. Can the Arctic Cold Front Cause Damage to Crops?

Yes, the Arctic cold front can cause damage to crops, especially if they are not properly protected. Frost and freezing temperatures can harm crops and delay their growth, leading to potential economic impacts for farmers.

3. How Does the Arctic Cold Front Form?

The Arctic cold front forms when a mass of cold air from the Arctic region moves southward, displacing the warmer air in its path. This can occur due to changes in atmospheric pressure and wind patterns.

4. How Long Will the Arctic Cold Front Last?

The duration of the Arctic cold front can vary, but it typically lasts for a few days to a week. However, the impact of the cold front, such as severe weather and crop damage, can last longer depending on the severity of the front.

5. What Precautions Should I Take During an Arctic Cold Front?

During an Arctic cold front, it is important to stay informed about weather updates and warnings. It is also crucial to take precautions to protect yourself and your property, such as staying indoors, dressing warmly, and properly insulating your home. Farmers should also take measures to protect their crops from freezing temperatures.