Solution to the cosmological constant problem

In summary, the cosmological constant problem is a long-standing issue in physics that seeks to understand the mysterious force that is driving the expansion of the universe. Scientists have proposed various solutions, including the possibility of a new type of energy known as dark energy, or modifications to Einstein's theory of general relativity. However, there is still no definitive answer to this problem, and it remains an active area of research in the field of cosmology.
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Padmanabhan is guilty of another interesting paper - Solution to the cosmological constant problem, http://arxiv.org/abs/1302.3226. Any thoughts?

Space news on Phys.org
Definetely a good paper its going to take me a bit to do the maths but he is using a well thought out approach

Chronos said:
Padmanabhan is guilty of another interesting paper - Solution to the cosmological constant problem, http://arxiv.org/abs/1302.3226. Any thoughts?
Well, these sorts of ideas are a dime a dozen, but it's great that it offers a nice connection between the value of the cosmological constant and something that we might hope to observe at some point in the future (the energy scale of inflation).

Hi Chalnoth,

Would you point out to me what other ideas of this sort exist? His work offers a nice picture, and prediction, of the CC. It is also motivated by well known connection between gravity and thermodynamics. So I'm curious to see what other directions lead to explanations of the CC with as much results and are as well "motivated".

akr6 said:
Hi Chalnoth,

Would you point out to me what other ideas of this sort exist? His work offers a nice picture, and prediction, of the CC. It is also motivated by well known connection between gravity and thermodynamics. So I'm curious to see what other directions lead to explanations of the CC with as much results and are as well "motivated".
Sorry, I don't recall any offhand. They generally just don't interest me. I just know that I see them relatively frequently.

Very well, thanks anyway :)

1. What is the cosmological constant problem?

The cosmological constant problem is the discrepancy between the predicted value of the cosmological constant in the equations of general relativity and the observed value of the cosmological constant in our universe.

2. Why is the cosmological constant problem considered a major challenge in physics?

This problem is considered a major challenge because the predicted value of the cosmological constant is approximately 120 orders of magnitude larger than the observed value, making it one of the largest discrepancies between theory and observation in physics.

3. What are some proposed solutions to the cosmological constant problem?

Some proposed solutions include the anthropic principle, which suggests that our universe has the observed value of the cosmological constant because it is necessary for the existence of life, and the idea of a dynamical cosmological constant, where the value of the cosmological constant changes over time.

4. What role does dark energy play in the cosmological constant problem?

Dark energy, which is responsible for the acceleration of the expansion of our universe, is often linked to the cosmological constant problem. Some theories suggest that dark energy is related to the cosmological constant, but this connection has yet to be proven.

5. How close are we to finding a solution to the cosmological constant problem?

While there have been many proposed solutions to the cosmological constant problem, none have been widely accepted or proven. The search for a solution is ongoing and it may take many more years of research and experimentation before a definitive answer is found.