Can someone verify a computational result for me?

In summary, two students are discussing their different results for a computational physics problem involving electrostatic potential. They are using different codes and getting vastly different answers. They have not yet covered this type of problem in class and are unable to confirm a result by hand. The problem involves finding the electrostatic potential of a charged wire of length 2L at a height H=L above the center of the wire. The charge density along the wire varies and is antisymmetric, resulting in the contributions to the potential of two points cancelling each other out. One student realizes they did the problem incorrectly.
cowmoo32
This is for a computational physics class, but isn't a homework question, per se. My friend and I have two different sets of code trying to achieve the same thing and we're getting vastly different answers, orders of magnitude apart. We haven't covered this sort of problem in our intro E&M class yet so we aren't able to confirm a result by hand.

Using a λ0 value of 1e-6 and L = 0.5m I'm getting V = ~0.0995 and he's getting 10,596.

Write a Python code that computes the electrostatic potential of a finite segment of charged wire of length 2L, at a height H=L above the center of the wire. The charge density along the wire varies as λ=λ0cos[itex]\frac{Pi*x}{2L}[/itex]
http://moodle.wolfware.ncsu.edu/file.php/33699/Lesson12/wire.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't that charge distribution antisymmetric, so the charge density at the point L-x along the wire is the negative of the charge density at the point L+x? Since the distance of these points to the point at a distance L in the middle of the wire is the same, the the contributions to the potential of these points cancels.

-delete- I did it wrong.

Last edited:

1. How do I know if my computational result is accurate?

The accuracy of a computational result can be determined by comparing it to known results or by performing multiple runs of the same computation and looking for consistency in the results. It is also helpful to have someone else verify the result independently.

2. Can I trust someone else to verify my computational result?

Yes, it is always recommended to have your results verified by another scientist or expert in the field. This helps to ensure accuracy and avoid any potential errors or biases.

3. What should I provide to someone who is verifying my computational result?

You should provide all relevant data, code, and methodology used in your computation. This will allow the verifier to replicate your results and identify any potential errors or discrepancies.

4. How long does it take for someone to verify a computational result?

The time it takes to verify a computational result can vary depending on the complexity of the computation and the availability of resources. It is best to discuss a timeline with the person verifying your result beforehand.

5. Is it common to have computational results verified by others?

Yes, it is a common practice in the scientific community to have computational results verified by other experts. This helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of research findings.