Register to reply

Equationsystem problem

Share this thread:
nastyjoe
Mar20-13, 04:19 PM
P: 2
My maths skills are so rusty that I can't figure out how I simplify these equations so that I get a formula for x and y... a,b,c,d,e,f are constants

y=[itex]\sqrt{b^{2} - (x-f)^{2}}[/itex] + e
x=[itex]\sqrt{a^{2} - (y-c)^{2}}[/itex] + d

Can anyone help me? And is this equationsystem even possible?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Mathematicians analyse new 'racetrack memory' computer device
Children's book explores Really Big Numbers
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
slider142
Mar20-13, 04:26 PM
P: 896
If you subtract the constants from both sides and square both sides, you should be able to see that your equations can be graphed in the xy-plane as the upper hemisphere of a circle of radius b centered at (f, e) and the upper hemisphere of a circle of radius a centered at (d, c). Whether these two curve segments intersect or not is up to the values of the constants.
To start, you can just use substitution: substitute your expression for y as a function of x into the second equation.
nastyjoe
Mar20-13, 04:31 PM
P: 2
I tried substituting y as a function of x into the second equation but I got an awfully complicated equation which I was unable to solve as I'm not that good at maths... :( Are you able to get a solution?

berkeman
Mar20-13, 05:06 PM
Mentor
P: 40,740
Equationsystem problem

Quote Quote by nastyjoe View Post
My maths skills are so rusty that I can't figure out how I simplify these equations so that I get a formula for x and y... a,b,c,d,e,f are constants

y=[itex]\sqrt{b^{2} - (x-f)^{2}}[/itex] + e
x=[itex]\sqrt{a^{2} - (y-c)^{2}}[/itex] + d

Can anyone help me? And is this equationsystem even possible?
Quote Quote by nastyjoe View Post
I tried substituting y as a function of x into the second equation but I got an awfully complicated equation which I was unable to solve as I'm not that good at maths... :( Are you able to get a solution?
Welcome to the PF.

What are these equations from?
AlephZero
Mar20-13, 06:40 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,967
If you square the first equation, you get
##(y-e)^2 + (x-f)^2 = b^2##

If you draw a graph of that equation, what shape of curve do you get? (If you can't see the answer to that, start with the simpler case when e = f = 0).

The easiest way to solve the two equations is using geometry, not algebra.

Register to reply