Register to reply

How position of quarks decide the type of elementey particles ?

by jagdishdash
Tags: decide, elementey, particles, position, quarks, type
Share this thread:
jagdishdash
Jan6-14, 12:33 PM
P: 11
I red the book halliday resnick I come to know
protons and other such elementry particles are composed of further subparticles called quarks

also that these quarks decide rather its proton or antiproton
as if the arrangement of quarks are like 2up quarks up and 1down quark down then its proton
and if its 1down quark up and 2up quarks down then its antiproton
here comes my doubt if its so
while the proton and nutron interchanges their positions the proton moves down and up and left and right
at this time the proton's quarks postion changes to antiproton's quark position
but this doesnt happens ??
then how we can say that the position of quarks decide the type of elementry particle ??
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
On-chip topological light: First measurements of transmission and delay
A two-stage trap for single protons leads to measurement of their magnetic properties
Unexpected phenomenon discovered at the surface of a transition metal oxide material
Vanadium 50
Jan6-14, 12:41 PM
Mentor
P: 16,204
I'm sorry, but I didn't understand this. Could you perhaps rewrite it? Also, it would help to gave something more specific than just "some books".
jagdishdash
Jan6-14, 12:58 PM
Quote Quote by Vanadium 50 View Post
I'm sorry, but I didn't understand this. Could you perhaps rewrite it? Also, it would help to gave something more specific than just "some books".

I re edited my thread and u can check it now rather its self explanatory to u know or not ??

DrClaude
Jan6-14, 03:47 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,325
How position of quarks decide the type of elementey particles ?

Quarks come in different flavours, two of which are called "up" (##\mathrm{u}##) and "down" (##\mathrm{d}##), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark. It has nothing to do with position.

The proton is made up of two up quarks and one down quark (##\mathrm{u}\mathrm{u}\mathrm{d}##). The antiproton is made up of the corresponding antiparticles to those quarks, ##\bar{\mathrm{u}}## for the up antiquark and ##\bar{\mathrm{d}}## for the down antiquark. Therefore, the antiproton is composed of ##\bar{\mathrm{u}} \bar{\mathrm{u}} \bar{\mathrm{d}}##.
Meir Achuz
Jan6-14, 07:04 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,990
The 'up' and 'down' names for quarks have no connection to up or down positions in space.
jagdishdash
Jan6-14, 11:56 PM
Ok it means proton uud and antiproton anti uud
not the positions
thanx all
Meir Achuz
Jan7-14, 10:32 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,990
Historically, the names 'up' and 'down' referred to a representation in (non-spatial) isotopic spin that sometimes used up and down arrows for those two quarks. The same representation later led to the names 'top' and 'bottom' for the two heaviest quarks.
jagdishdash
Jan8-14, 01:17 PM
Quote Quote by Meir Achuz View Post
Historically, the names 'up' and 'down' referred to a representation in (non-spatial) isotopic spin that sometimes used up and down arrows for those two quarks. The same representation later led to the names 'top' and 'bottom' for the two heaviest quarks.

ok yah I got it atlaaast
thanx all
mathman
Jan8-14, 04:14 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,040
Names of quarks are purely made up - nothing to do with physics. Note that the intermediate level quarks are named charm and strange.
jtbell
Jan8-14, 04:36 PM
Mentor
P: 11,632
Then you have the quark color charges, red, green and blue, which have nothing to do with visual colors.

Register to reply