Socket T (LGA775) or Socket 478

• Thread starter exequor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Socket
In summary, the conversation revolves around the decision between going with a newer, LGA 775 socket motherboard and processor or sticking with the more established socket 478 option. The individual also mentions their preference for Intel over AMD and the importance of purchasing stable, long-lasting parts for upgrades.
exequor
After almost purchasing a motherboard and processor for socket 478 I found a p4 processor for socket T that was cheaper than a p4 processor for socket 478. The thing is I have this proprietary dell motherboard which I now can't get to work with my in-win case. So simply put should I go with the lga 775 stuff since it is newer and is the future, or with the socket 478 stuff which has been around for sometime?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Why Intel? Why not AMD?

When I upgrade every 3-4 years I basically get a new everything. I have found that upgrading parts any sooner is a waste of time and money.

My advice is to get stabilized parts. The lastest and greatest almost always has problems (hardware or software) and goes through a bunch of revisions .

Yea but the good amd processors are much more expensive when compared to a pentium 4 prescott.

Um, where do you shop? What speed are you looking for?

1. What is the difference between Socket T (LGA775) and Socket 478?

Socket T (LGA775) and Socket 478 are two different types of CPU sockets used for Intel processors. The main difference between them is the number of pins. Socket T (LGA775) has 775 pins, while Socket 478 has 478 pins. This means that they are not compatible with each other, and the processor designed for one socket will not fit into the other.

2. Which socket is newer, Socket T (LGA775) or Socket 478?

Socket T (LGA775) is the newer socket, released in 2004, while Socket 478 was released in 2000. Intel made the switch from Socket 478 to Socket T (LGA775) in order to accommodate newer and more powerful processors.

3. Can a Socket 478 processor fit into a Socket T (LGA775) socket?

No, a Socket 478 processor cannot fit into a Socket T (LGA775) socket. As mentioned earlier, these two sockets have different numbers of pins, so they are not compatible with each other. Trying to force a processor into the wrong socket can cause damage to both the processor and the socket.

4. Are there any advantages of using Socket T (LGA775) over Socket 478?

Yes, there are several advantages of using Socket T (LGA775) over Socket 478. Socket T (LGA775) was designed to support newer and more powerful processors, so it allows for faster processing speeds and better performance. It also has a higher pin count, which allows for more connections and better communication between the processor and other components.

5. Is Socket T (LGA775) still in use today?

No, Socket T (LGA775) is no longer in use today. It was replaced by Socket 1156 in 2009, which was then replaced by Socket 1155 in 2011. Currently, the most commonly used socket for Intel processors is Socket 1200, which was released in 2020.