Should I Adopt Another Cat for My Lonely Kitty?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pet
In summary: I remembered I live in an apartment and can't. I haven't been to one since...they are way to tempting.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was buying some catfood in the pet store for my 13-year-old kitty today and there was a "kitten adoption day" going on. There were a lot of sweet kittens and cats there that need good homes. Sometimes I think about adopting another because I worry about my kitty being lonely -- I am away at work and school a lot. Our other cat passed away a couple of years ago, and even though they weren't close, I think she misses having her around.

But then again, she's getting on in years and bringing in a new cat might just traumatize her. The other thing is that in this city it is really hard to find apartments that allow pets, and if I lost my place I would likely have to send my cat to live with my parents while I finish school. If I adopted another, then I would have to burden them with two cats.

Those sweet little faces were so tempting, though. There was a little solid black polydactyl cat that was ready to jump in my bag and leave with me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
I was buying some catfood in the pet store for my 13-year-old kitty today and there was a "kitten adoption day" going on. There were a lot of sweet kittens and cats there that need good homes. Sometimes I think about adopting another because I worry about my kitty being lonely -- I am away at work and school a lot. Our other cat passed away a couple of years ago, and even though they weren't close, I think she misses having her around.

But then again, she's getting on in years and bringing in a new cat might just traumatize her. The other thing is that in this city it is really hard to find apartments that allow pets, and if I lost my place I would likely have to send my cat to live with my parents while I finish school. If I adopted another, then I would have to burden them with two cats.

Those sweet little faces were so tempting, though. There was a little solid black polydactyl cat that was ready to jump in my bag and leave with me.
Awww, a polydactl. I almost adopted a solid black polydactl when I first moved here.

Kittens are so hard to resist.

It's tough to know with an older cat. You might be better off adopting another older cat if you're doing it to provider her with a companion. A kitten might be a bit too rambunctious for her to handle, and the older ones have a harder time getting adopted than kittens do.

Or, if you know someone else with a kitten, maybe they can bring it to visit and see how your cat handles having one around before you decide whether to adopt one.

Last time I went to a petstore I was so close to adopting a rottweiler...then I remembered I live in an apartment and can't. I haven't been to one since...they are way to tempting.

Evo said:
Awww, a polydactl. I almost adopted a solid black polydactl when I first moved here.

Kittens are so hard to resist.
He was so cute. He had big "thumbs" like a hitchhiker.

Math Is Hard said:
Awwwww. Ok, where is this place, I'm flying out tomorrow.

Moonbear said:
It's tough to know with an older cat. You might be better off adopting another older cat if you're doing it to provider her with a companion. A kitten might be a bit too rambunctious for her to handle, and the older ones have a harder time getting adopted than kittens do.

Or, if you know someone else with a kitten, maybe they can bring it to visit and see how your cat handles having one around before you decide whether to adopt one.
They did say I could maybe do a trial basis adoption. I think it would depend so much on temperment. There was another cat there, about 3 years old, but they said he really didn't like to interact with other cats. That could be good or bad, I think, in our situation. Some of the kittens were hyper but others were very shy. I don't think she would take well to a rowdy kitten that tugged at her ear and wanted her to play all the time.
She had one older cat "friend", my neighbors cat, who just passed away a month ago. They liked to sit near each other quietly, but not play. Any other time a cat has tried to get near her she has chased it off.

scorpa said:
Last time I went to a petstore I was so close to adopting a rottweiler...then I remembered I live in an apartment and can't. I haven't been to one since...they are way to tempting.
was it a puppy? I bet rottie pups are cute.:shy:

Math Is Hard said:
They did say I could maybe do a trial basis adoption. I think it would depend so much on temperment. There was another cat there, about 3 years old, but they said he really didn't like to interact with other cats. That could be good or bad, I think, in our situation. Some of the kittens were hyper but others were very shy. I don't think she would take well to a rowdy kitten that tugged at her ear and wanted her to play all the time.
She had one older cat "friend", my neighbors cat, who just passed away a month ago. They liked to sit near each other quietly, but not play. Any other time a cat has tried to get near her she has chased it off.
The trial sounds good, probably a quiet kitten or older cat will work.

I have a stray cat that showed up that is so sweet until she sees Dr Foofer, then she gets all riled and attacks him. He's a pacifist, so he runs. I think I'm going to have to take her to the animal shleter, she thinks she lives here and is sole owner.

Evo said:
Awwwww. Ok, where is this place, I'm flying out tomorrow.
oh, you would love it. They actually said they didn't recommend the little black cat for me because he had such a constant craving for human attention that they thought he would be all over me all of the time and make my cat jealous.

i think it would be awesome to live in the woods and befriend/tame/possess a wild animal, but I just don't have the urge to pick up after and feed other things while I live a studious life. I'm sure it will all change when I have kids (which I will train to be vampyre ninja pirates).

Evo said:
I have a stray cat that showed up that is so sweet until she sees Dr Foofer, then she gets all riled and attacks him. He's a pacifist, so he runs. I think I'm going to have to take her to the animal shleter, she thinks she lives here and is sole owner.
Oh no! Poor Foofer.

Pythagorean said:
i think it would be awesome to live in the woods and befriend/tame/possess a wild animal, but I just don't have the urge to pick up after and feed other things while I live a studious life. I'm sure it will all change when I have kids (which I will train to be vampyre ninja pirates).
when you're ready, I have a raccoon I'll sell you - cheap!

Math Is Hard said:
was it a puppy? I bet rottie pups are cute.:shy:

No it was about 2 years old, but so so adorable. That dog was so sweet, I would have brought him home in a minute if I didnt live in the city, but I would never have a dog like that in the city, they need room to run.

Math Is Hard said:
:biggrin: I'm glad Ember doesn't have any thumbs! She already gets into enough trouble, I can't imagine what she'd manage to do if she had thumbs to help! :rofl:

But that would be really cute...it makes me think of mittens when I see them with thumbs.

Moonbear said:
:biggrin: I'm glad Ember doesn't have any thumbs! She already gets into enough trouble, I can't imagine what she'd manage to do if she had thumbs to help! :rofl:

But that would be really cute...it makes me think of mittens when I see them with thumbs.
I'm afraid I might come home and find every can of cat food opened if I had a cat with thumbs. :biggrin:

scorpa said:
No it was about 2 years old, but so so adorable. That dog was so sweet, I would have brought him home in a minute if I didnt live in the city, but I would never have a dog like that in the city, they need room to run.
I totally agree. :approve:

It was pet adoption day at Petsmart in Colorado Springs, too.

I wasn't tempted much, but you have to look. Lots of rabbits. Knowing how much my dog just loves rabbits and squirrels, I could just envision how well that would work. Every lamp, picture, and knick knack would be destroyed within two days (provided it was a fast, clever rabbit, of course). :rofl:

Check with a couple of animal rescue groups. Some use foster care so they don't fill up their own facilities so fast. That would give you a temporary cat just to see how well your cat would adapt.

1. What is "Temptation" in the pet store?

"Temptation" is a common term used to describe the irresistible urge to buy or adopt a pet while visiting a pet store. It can also refer to the temptation to purchase additional items for a current pet.

2. Why do people experience temptation in pet stores?

People experience temptation in pet stores due to the cute and cuddly nature of the animals, as well as the emotional connection that can be formed with them. The colorful and enticing displays, as well as the availability of a wide variety of products, can also contribute to the temptation.

3. Is temptation in pet stores a psychological phenomenon?

Yes, temptation in pet stores can be considered a psychological phenomenon. It involves the interplay of emotions, desires, and decision-making processes that can influence a person's behavior.

4. Are there any studies on temptation in pet stores?

Yes, there have been several studies conducted on temptation in pet stores, particularly in the field of consumer behavior. These studies have looked at factors such as product placement, pricing strategies, and customer demographics to understand the influence of temptation on purchasing behavior.

5. How can one resist temptation in a pet store?

There are a few strategies that can help one resist temptation in a pet store. These include setting a budget beforehand, bringing a shopping list, and avoiding impulse purchases. It can also be helpful to think about the long-term responsibilities and costs associated with owning a pet before making a decision.