Where Can I Find 2D Structures of Molecules Like Melanin?

In summary, Swissprot/Expasy and Entrez are good databases to find 2D structures of molecules like the following: melanin. However, they don't have the structure for melanin available. Acdlabs has a program which you can use to sketch in the formula and view in 2D or 3D.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Which are good databases to find 2D structures of molecules like the following:
http://www.accelrys.com/cases/images/melanin2.jpg
It is supposed to be a form of melanin, but I need a better one :)

Swissprot won't work, since it is not a protein.. couldn't find anything in Entrez either :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
WHOA! Is THIS melanin??

http://www.rastafarian.net/melanin2.jpg

no wonder it is good at absorbing energies too bad the two structures don't match

*grmbl* the following doesn't help..

Melanin Model

name Alexis
status other
age 30s

Question - Where can I find a molecular model (chemical structure
and drawing) of melanin pigment?
------------------------------------------------
I don't think you'll have much luck. The fact that melanin is a "pigment"
should tip you off. Pigments are generally ill-defined, insoluble
macromolecules, and melanin is (more correctly, melanins are) no exception.
From the Merck Index: "Structures are macromolecules, probably mixtures of
polymers, produced by enzyme systems from various precursors in the form of
granules and may be bound to protein material. ... The chemical units which
predominate in these melanins are of the indole type, formed from tyrosine
and dopa precursors."

Richard E. Barrans Jr., Ph.D.
Assistant Director
PG Research Foundation, Darien, Illinois
===================================
I need to have the structure though!

Looks like that was all I could find as well. Maybe you could post an easier question?

http://www.accelrys.com/cases/images/melanin3.jpg
http://www.accelrys.com/cases/images/melanin2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by rockind78
Maybe you could post an easier question?
well..

But what are some databases where structures are deposited, or databases which list properties of molecules.. I already mentioned Swissprot/Expasy and Entrez.. I used to know lots others, but haven't used any of them in yearsss :)

Oh well, I guess I can just list the compounds which can be used as substrates for melanin production. Ofcourse it is pretty evident there is no one form of melanin, since every person's skin color is different.. the melanin of asians will be very different from africans or from skandinavians..

I am actually looking for a melanin from a fungus, it also protects them from UV damage, pretty cool :) that is why spoiled food gets such pretty nasty colorations :P

The idea behind all this is that the ringstructures of melanin produce the color and enable it to absorb energies

Optical Absorption of Melanin

This has the structure of the melanin monomers available, as well as some information on synthesis and optical properties.

How about making your on.

download this free program, sketch in the formula and the you can view in 2D or 3D

http://acdlabs.com/download/

Nautica

1. What is a 2D structure of a molecule?

The 2D structure of a molecule refers to the representation of a molecule on a two-dimensional plane, usually on a flat surface such as a piece of paper or a computer screen. It shows the arrangement of atoms and bonds in a molecule, but does not provide information about the molecule's three-dimensional shape.

2. How is the 2D structure of a molecule determined?

The 2D structure of a molecule is determined through a process called molecular modeling, which involves using computer software to predict the most stable arrangement of atoms and bonds in a molecule. This is based on the molecule's chemical formula, as well as principles of valence and bond angles.

3. What information can be obtained from a 2D structure of a molecule?

A 2D structure of a molecule can provide valuable information about the types and number of atoms present in a molecule, as well as the connectivity and arrangement of these atoms through bonds. It can also help identify functional groups and determine the overall polarity of a molecule.

4. How does the 2D structure of a molecule relate to its properties?

The 2D structure of a molecule can provide insights into its properties, such as its reactivity, stability, and physical characteristics. For example, the arrangement of atoms and bonds in a molecule can affect its boiling point, solubility, and ability to form bonds with other molecules.

5. Can the 2D structure of a molecule change?

Yes, the 2D structure of a molecule can change depending on its environment. For example, the presence of other molecules or changes in temperature and pressure can alter the arrangement of atoms and bonds in a molecule. This can result in changes in the molecule's properties and behavior.