Discussing Freedom of Speech: Tim Berners-Lee's Creed

• News
  • Thread starter Mattius_
  • Start date
In summary: Freedom of speech, any speech, is something I think the World's Leaders need to aggressively Pursue. The World Wide Web's creator, Tim Berners-Lee has established the World Wide Web Consortium, W3C.org, and has set a guideline for the world wide web to develop to its full potential. The W3C's creed reads:W3C's mission is to lead the Web to its full potential, which it does by developing technologies (specifications, guidelines, software, and tools) that will create a forum for information, commerce, inspiration, independent thought, and collective understanding. Berners-Lee is not only in collaboration with the actual writing of protocol for the internet to use,
Mattius_
Freedom of Speech,any speech, is something I think the World's Leaders need to aggressively Pursue. The World Wide Web's creator, Tim Berners-Lee has established the World Wide Web Consortium, W3C.org, and has set a guideline for the world wide web to develop to its full potential. The W3C's creed reads:W3C's mission is to lead the Web to its full potential, which it does by developing technologies (specifications, guidelines, software, and tools) that will create a forum for information, commerce, inspiration, independent thought, and collective understanding.

Berners-Lee is not only in collaboration with the actual writing of protocol for the internet to use, but has also established himself as one of the philosophical warriors on behalf of the freedom of speech on the WWW.

To me, The Internet is something too full of potential to try and lull with restraint and order. I am asking the forum moderator to use this premise when reviewing the action of closing topics by his or her subjective discretion

So, What do the rest of you have to say about freedom of speech?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Mattius_
So, What do the rest of you have to say about freedom of speech?
It doesn't exist in a private forum. Greg is God here.

To me, The Internet is something too full of potential to try and lull with restraint and order.

What does that even mean? That no one should apply any kind of order or restraint to the Internet?

The Internet is not some magical place where everything is free. People who pay for a web server and bandwidth certainly have the right to apply order and restraint to their server. And they should.

If you get a website, it's generally for some purpose. If that purpose involves giving people a chance to freely express themselves, whatever their opinions, then that's great. There are lots of places on the net that do that. But no one is obligated (either legally or morally) to use their private property solely for the purpose of allowing others to post uncensored speech.

Free speech means that anyone of us can spend our own cash, start our own website, and say whatever we want. As Russ pointed out, Greg owns the site, he gets to control the speech here. What Russ left out is the fact that everyone here agreed to certain things when they signed up. One of those things is that Greg or his appointed mentors can delete or close threads at their discretion. Since you agreed to it, you really don't have a leg to stand on if you disagree with a decision a mentor makes.

I will say this, though...if a thread is deleted by me, it means I felt it had no merit whatsoever. If a thread is just locked, feel free to suck up to me, and I may unlock it someday.

It doesn't exist in a private forum. Greg is God here.

Thats wrong, It If Greg or a mentor *allows* free speech, let there be free speech! Is that not what I am pushing for now? I mean, wasnt my post a persuasive rather than in informative?

Zero, To my understanding, a mentor is someone who polices the group, and answers questions people have.

You locked my post WITHOUT NOTICE after comparing me to hitler, and then I made a post and asked why it was that you locked my post,and you deleted that, with no explanation!

Does it make you feel good when you crush other people? Do you get satisfaction out of it?

Thats wrong, It If Greg or a mentor *allows* free speech, let there be free speech! Is that not what I am pushing for now? I mean, wasnt my post a persuasive rather than in informative?

This is a forum for the discussion of physics. Not a public forum for the discussion of anything anybody wants. While there are subforums here for the discussion of more general topics, these are not central to the purpose of this website.

Since this is not a website built for the purpose of totally open political discussion, censoring political posts does not detract from this site.

I'm looking around, trying to see where I have "crushed" anyone.

Did you know that there are protestors in America and abroad how are shot, maced, arrested, beaten, ect., while trying to engage in free speech?

Something I am absolutely tired of is spoiled American high school and college kids(and those who never matured past that point) complaining about persecution because they can't get their way.

A smart and mature person woould have read my last post, sent me a PM, and discussed the issue with me, instead of crying about being "crushed".

1. What is Tim Berners-Lee's Creed and why is it important?

Tim Berners-Lee's Creed is a set of principles that outlines the importance of freedom of speech on the internet. As the inventor of the World Wide Web, Berners-Lee believes that free expression and access to information are crucial for a democratic society and should be protected online.

2. How did Tim Berners-Lee's Creed come about?

The Creed was first published by Berners-Lee in 2014 as part of the Web We Want campaign, which aimed to promote the idea of a free and open internet. It was later revised and expanded upon in 2019, with the help of other internet pioneers and organizations.

3. What are the main principles of Tim Berners-Lee's Creed?

The main principles include the right to access and share information freely, the importance of diverse and open communication, and the protection of privacy and anonymity on the internet. It also emphasizes the responsibility of individuals and governments to uphold these principles.

4. How does Tim Berners-Lee's Creed relate to freedom of speech?

The Creed stresses the importance of free expression and access to information as fundamental human rights. It also recognizes the role of the internet in facilitating these rights and the need to protect them in the digital age.

5. What can individuals do to promote and protect freedom of speech in accordance with Tim Berners-Lee's Creed?

Individuals can educate themselves about the principles of the Creed and advocate for them in their communities and online. They can also support organizations that promote internet freedom and hold governments and companies accountable for upholding these principles.