I'm trying to recall my M.E. materials science class

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of steel and its composition. The speaker mentioned studying mechanical engineering at UCSD after transferring from a math major at Pomona College. They discussed how carbon atoms fill in the spaces between iron atoms in the crystal lattice of steel, making it stronger. However, too many carbon atoms can weaken the steel by replacing iron atoms. The speaker also mentioned that their understanding may not be entirely accurate without considering quantum mechanics. They then asked for clarification and additional information, and someone suggested looking at an article on martensite. The speaker expressed a preference for simpler explanations at a Wikipedia level.
eehiram
I studied mechanical engineering at UCSD for my sophomore and junior years after transferring in from being a math major at Pomona College (east of LA).

One thing I remember is that we talked about the material composition of steel. It has a crystal lattice such that the carbon atoms fill in the spaces in between the iron atoms. This makes the crystal latttice more solid. (Ironically, too many carbon atoms weakens the steel because then the carbon atoms start replacing the iron atoms as well.)

Of course, this is not correct unless we state it along the lines of quantum mechanics, but it's on a macroscopic scale on the whole.

So is all of this correct? It's been about 10 years since I took the class. My memory is worse than hazy. And can anyone add to it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I found a great article on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel" answered a lot of my questions. Can someone post something about martinized steel?

Last edited by a moderator:
I need something a little less advanced

Discussion along the lines of wikipedia level of education would be better for me.

1. What topics are typically covered in an M.E. materials science class?

In an M.E. materials science class, students typically learn about the properties and behavior of different materials, such as metals, ceramics, and polymers. They also learn about material selection, processing techniques, and the relationship between material structure and properties.

2. How does this class relate to engineering?

M.E. materials science is a crucial subject for engineering students as it provides the foundation for understanding material properties and how to select and use materials in engineering applications. This class helps students develop the skills needed to design and create innovative engineering solutions.

3. How is this class typically taught?

M.E. materials science classes are typically taught through a combination of lectures, laboratory experiments, and hands-on projects. This allows students to learn both the theoretical concepts and practical applications of materials science.

4. What are some common challenges students face in this class?

Some students may find the theoretical concepts in materials science challenging to understand, while others may struggle with the hands-on aspects such as conducting experiments and analyzing data. Time management and balancing the workload for this class with other courses can also be a challenge.

5. How can I best prepare for this class?

To prepare for an M.E. materials science class, it's important to have a strong foundation in chemistry, physics, and math. Reviewing these subjects before the class begins can help you better understand the material. It's also helpful to familiarize yourself with the course syllabus and materials list to ensure you have all the necessary materials and resources.