Wavefunctions of fermions and bosons

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of two-particle wave functions for different types of particles in a cubical box. For distinguishable particles, the wave function is the product of individual one-particle wave functions. For identical particles, the wave function must be symmetric, and for identical spin-half fermions, it must also be antisymmetric. The appropriate wave functions are derived using the given energy and eigenfunctions equations, with the spin state being either symmetric or antisymmetric depending on the type of particle.
stunner5000pt

Homework Statement

Consider two noninteracting particles p and q each with mass m in a cubical box od size a. Assume the energy of the particles is

[tex] E = \frac{3 \hbar^2 \pi^2}{2ma^2} + \frac{6\hbar^2 pi^2}{2ma^2} [/tex]

Using the eigenfunctions
[tex] \psi_{n_{x},n_{y},n_{z}} (x_{p},y_{p},z_{p}) [/tex]
and
[tex] \psi_{n_{x},n_{y},n_{z}} (x_{q},y_{q},z_{q}) [/tex]

write down the two particle wave functions which could describe the system when the particles are
a) distinguishable, spinless bosons
b) identical, spinless bosons
c) identical spin-half fermions in a symmetric spin state
d) identical spin half fermions in an antisymmetric spin state

Homework Equations

For a cube the wavefunction is given by

[tex] \psi_{n_{x},n_{y},n_{z}} = N \sin\left(\frac{n_{x}\pi x}{a}\right)\sin\left(\frac{n_{y}\pi y}{a}\right)\sin\left(\frac{n_{z}\pi z}{a}\right) [/tex]

[tex] E = \frac{\hbar^2 \pi^2}{2ma^2} (n_{x}^2 + n_{y}^2 +n_{z}^2) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

for the fermions the wavefunction mus be antisymmetric under exhange
c) [tex] \Phi^{(A)}(p,q) = \psi^{(A)} (r_{p},r_{q}) \chi^{(S)}_{S,M_{s}}(p,q) [/tex]
where chi is the spin state

so since the energy is 3 E0 for the first particle there possible value nx,ny,nz are n=(1,1,1) and the second particle n'=(1,1,2).

we could select
[tex] \Psi^{(A)} (x_{p},x_{q},t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} (\psi_{n}(x_{p})\psi_{n'}(x_{q} - \psi_{n}(x_{q})\psi_{n'}(x_{p}) \exp[-\frac{i(E_{n} + E_{n'})t}{\hbar} [/tex]
A means it is unsymmetric
the spin state chi could be
[tex] \chi^{(S)}_{1,1}(p,q) = \chi_{+}(p) \chi_{-}(q) [/tex]
S means it is symmetric

For d it is similar but switched around

for a) and b) i have doubts though
For a) the bosons must be distinguishable so we could have WF like this

[tex] \Psi_{1} (r_{p},r_{q},t) = \psi_{n}(r_{p})\psi_{n'}(r_{q}) \exp[-\frac{i(E_{n} + E_{n'})t}{\hbar} [/tex]
for one of the particles. Under exchange this would be symmetric.

b) if the bosons are identical then we simply have to construct a wavefunction that is smmetric like we did in part c for the fermions.

Is this right? Please help!

thanks for any and all help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump :biggrin:

by the way [tex] \chi= \chi_{S,M_{S}} [/tex]

and
[tex] \chi_{+} [/tex] when Ms = +1/2
and
[tex] \chi_{-} [/tex] when Ms = -1/2

Hi stunner5000pt,

I'm just learning this stuff myself, but I'll try to help. Your answer to part c looks correct. The spatial part of the wf was chosen to be antisymmetric, since the spin state is given to be symmetric, so that the *overall* wf is antisymmetric.

stunner5000pt said:
for a) and b) i have doubts though
For a) the bosons must be distinguishable so we could have WF like this

[tex] \Psi_{1} (r_{p},r_{q},t) = \psi_{n}(r_{p})\psi_{n'}(r_{q}) \exp[-\frac{i(E_{n} + E_{n'})t}{\hbar} [/tex]
for one of the particles. Under exchange this would be symmetric.

No it wouldn't be! But that's okay! :smile: Because the particles are meant to be distinguishable. So I think your answer is correct...an acceptable wavefunction for a two-particle system is the product of the individual one-particle wavefunctions, *if* you know that one is in the state n, and
the other in the state n', because you are able to tell the difference between them.

stunner5000pt said:
b) if the bosons are identical then we simply have to construct a wavefunction that is smmetric like we did in part c for the fermions.

Yes, you do have to construct a wavefunction that is symmetric. But no, it's not like part c, because in part c, you constructed a wf that was antisymmetric. :tongue2: Not only that, but your bosons are spinless, so you'd only have a spatial part to your wavefunction, and it would have to be symmetric on its own.

Hope this helps

1. What are fermions and bosons?

Fermions and bosons are two types of particles that make up the fundamental building blocks of matter. Fermions are particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. Bosons, on the other hand, have integer spin and include particles like photons and gluons.

2. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a particle. It contains information about the particle's position, momentum, and other physical properties.

3. How do wavefunctions differ for fermions and bosons?

The main difference is that the wavefunction for fermions must be antisymmetric, meaning that it changes sign when exchanging two particles, while the wavefunction for bosons must be symmetric. This is known as the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that two fermions cannot occupy the same quantum state, while multiple bosons can.

4. What is the role of wavefunctions in quantum mechanics?

Wavefunctions play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they allow us to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state. They also help us understand the properties and behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. How are wavefunctions of fermions and bosons related to quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement occurs when two or more particles are connected in such a way that the state of one particle cannot be described without considering the state of the other. Wavefunctions of fermions and bosons are essential in understanding and describing this phenomenon, as they determine the possible states and interactions between particles.