Calculating Average Force on a Bouncing Steel Ball

In summary, a 9 kg steel ball strikes a wall with a speed of 10 m/s at an angle of 49.8 degrees with the normal to the wall. It bounces off with the same speed and angle and is in contact with the wall for .0911 sec. The magnitude of the average force exerted on the ball by the wall can be found using the impulse-momentum theorem, by calculating the change in the x component of the momentum and dividing by the time.
Gammage
A 9 kg steel ball strikes a wall with a speed of 10 m/s at an angle of 49.8 degrees with the normal to the wall. It bounces off with the same speed and angle. If the ball is in contact with the wall for .0911 sec, what is the magnitude of the average force exerted on the ball by the wall?

KE = 1/2 m v^2 p = mv

I wasn't sure how to tackle this one, I made a few attempts but to no avail. Can anyone learn me up a bit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the impulse-momentum theorem.

Thanks, that helped alot. I found the change in the x component of the momentum then divided by the time.

That sounds good to me. :smile:

1. What is the "Steel Ball off the Wall" experiment?

The "Steel Ball off the Wall" experiment is a classic physics demonstration that involves dropping a steel ball from a height onto a hard surface, such as a concrete wall, and observing its motion.

2. What equipment is needed for the "Steel Ball off the Wall" experiment?

To conduct the experiment, you will need a steel ball, a hard surface, and a measuring device, such as a ruler, to track the motion of the ball.

3. What are the main principles demonstrated by the "Steel Ball off the Wall" experiment?

The experiment demonstrates the principles of conservation of energy and conservation of momentum. When the ball hits the wall, its kinetic energy is transferred to the wall, and its momentum is conserved as it bounces back.

4. How does the height of the drop affect the results of the "Steel Ball off the Wall" experiment?

The height of the drop affects the height to which the ball bounces back, as well as the amount of energy and momentum transferred to the wall. The higher the drop, the higher the bounce and the greater the transfer of energy and momentum.

5. What are some common variations of the "Steel Ball off the Wall" experiment?

Some common variations of the experiment include using different materials for the ball and wall, adding obstacles or barriers to the path of the ball, and changing the angle of the drop. These variations can affect the outcome of the experiment and demonstrate different principles of physics.