Proof of Dot and Cross Product of Arbitrary Vectors with Pauli Spin Operator

In summary, the conversation discusses how to take the dot product and cross product of matrices using the Pauli spin operator, where a and b are arbitrary vectors. It is suggested to treat the Pauli spin operator as vectors and then write them as matrices to complete the calculation. The size of vectors a and b can vary, but it is important to remember that the components do not commute.
indigojoker
I need to show:

[tex](\mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{a})(\mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{b})=\mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{b} I + i \mathbf{\sigma} \cdot (\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b})[/tex]

where a and b are arbitrary vectors, sigma is the pauli spin operator.

I was just wondering what the dot product and cross product were. Because a and b can be 2x1, 2x2, 2x3, etc... I'm not sure how to take a dot product of matricies much less a cross product. Since it specifies dot and cross, i assume that it is not just a regular matrix mulitpilication, however, i do not know how to take the dot and cross product of matrices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
indigojoker said:
I need to show:

[tex](\mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{a})(\mathbf{\sigma} \cdot \mathbf{b})=\mathbf{a} \cdot \mathbf{b} I + i \mathbf{\sigma} \cdot (\mathbf{a} \times \mathbf{b})[/tex]

where a and b are arbitrary vectors, sigma is the pauli spin operator.

I was just wondering what the dot product and cross product were. Because a and b can be 2x1, 2x2, 2x3, etc... I'm not sure how to take a dot product of matricies much less a cross product. Since it specifies dot and cross, i assume that it is not just a regular matrix mulitpilication, however, i do not know how to take the dot and cross product of matrices. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just think of the [itex] {\vec \sigma} [/itex] as vectors. So, for example, [itex] {\vec a} \cdot {\vec \sigma} [/itex] is simply [itex] a_1 \sigma_1 + a_2 \sigma_2 + a_3 \sigma_3 [/itex] and so on. So you treat the [itex] {\vec \sigma} [/itex] as vectors while being careful to rememember that the components do not coommute. And then , you may write them as matrices to complete your calculation.

thanks nrqed. are vectors a and b 2x1? or is it a general 2xn?

Or is a=x1+x2+x3, where x1, x2, x3 are 2x1 vectors? I'm not too sure how general this should be

What is the dot product?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and returns a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding the results.

What is the cross product?

The cross product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as inputs and returns a vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix formed by the two input vectors and the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions.

What is the Pauli spin operator?

The Pauli spin operator, named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli, is a matrix operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin of a particle. It has two possible eigenvalues, +1/2 and -1/2, which correspond to the spin-up and spin-down states of an electron.

How is the dot product related to the Pauli spin operator?

The dot product can be used to calculate the expectation value of the Pauli spin operator in a given state. The dot product between two vectors is equivalent to the matrix multiplication between the corresponding matrices of the two vectors. Therefore, by taking the dot product between a vector representing the state of a system and the Pauli spin operator, we can calculate the expected value of the spin in that state.

How is the cross product related to the Pauli spin operator?

The cross product can be used to calculate the commutator between two Pauli spin operators, which is an important quantity in quantum mechanics. The commutator is defined as the difference between the two operators multiplied in two different orders. By taking the cross product between the two vectors representing the two spin operators, we can calculate the commutator between them.