Converting Complex Numbers to Trigonometric Identities

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to express 2/(1 + z) in the form 1 - i tan kx, with one method using polar form and the other using the "complex conjugate" method. Ultimately, the solution involves using trig identities to simplify the expression and determine the value of k.
Joza
I was never good at trigonometric identities.

Let z= cos x + i sin x

Express 2/(1 + z) in the form 1 - i tan kx

I need help. A pointer to where to start would be great.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]z=e^{ix}[/tex]

and
[tex]\tan(kx)=\frac{1}{2i}\cdot\frac{e^{ikx}-e^{-ikx}}{e^{ikx}+e^{ikx}}[/tex]

I'm sorry, but I have never seen that identity before. It's not in my math tables?

Do you know that [itex]tan z= \frac{sin z}{cos z}[/itex]? Replace sin z with [itex](e^{ix}-e^{-ix})/2i[/itex] and cos z with [itex](e^{ix}+ e^{-ix})/2[/itex]

I would have been inclined to do this problem more directly. Write 2/(1+ z) as
[tex]\frac{2}{1+ cos x+ i sin x}= \frac{2}{(1+cos x)+ i sin x}[/tex]
and multiply both numerator and denominator by the "complex conjugate", (1+ cos x)- i sin x.

I'm sue Joza hasnt seen polar form yet...HallsofIvys method is the best way for you.

No I understand polar form. And yes I understand that tan is sin/cos. I haven't done 3rd level mathematics yet though.

O well that's good then, Halls's method is still the way to go though.

Gib Z said:
O well that's good then, Halls's method is still the way to go though.

That seemed the most obvious way to proceed to me as well. I was going to post exactly that but Tim beat me to it, then I decided I liked his way better.

Here's the reason. If you follow through with the "conjugate" method and simplify as much as possible you end up with,

[tex] \frac{2}{1+z} = 1 - i \, \frac{\sin(x)}{1+\cos(x)} [/tex].

While this is tantalizingly close to the form that OP requires it's still not quite there. To finish off you need to be able the see that you can use the following two trig identities (on the numerator and denominator respectively),

[tex] \sin(x) = 2 \sin(x/2) \cos(x/2) [/tex]

and

[tex] 1 + \cos(x) = 2 \cos^2(x/2) [/tex].

This last step wasn't too obvious to me, actually I didn't even see it at first. It was only after working through Tim’s method that I realized that "k" had to be equal to 1/2 and then the half angle substitutions idea came to me.

Last edited:
actually... just look at
[tex]1-\frac{2}{z+1}=\frac{z-1}{z+1}[/tex] alone with the identity will give you everything.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that are expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1). They can be thought of as a combination of a real number and an imaginary number.

2. What are the properties of complex numbers?

Complex numbers have many properties, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They also have a conjugate property, where the imaginary part changes signs. Additionally, they can be plotted on the complex plane, with the real part being represented on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis.

3. How are complex numbers used in mathematics?

Complex numbers are used in a variety of mathematical fields, including algebra, geometry, and calculus. They are also used in physics and engineering to model real-world phenomena, such as electrical circuits and waves.

4. What is the difference between a complex number and an imaginary number?

An imaginary number is a complex number with a real part of 0, while a complex number can have both a real and imaginary part. Imaginary numbers are often used as a component of complex numbers, but they are not the same thing.

5. What are some common identities involving complex numbers?

Some common identities involving complex numbers include Euler's formula (e^(ix) = cos(x) + i sin(x)), De Moivre's theorem ( (cos(x)+i sin(x))^n = cos(nx) + i sin(nx)), and the Pythagorean theorem for complex numbers (|z|^2 = x^2 + y^2, where z = x + yi).