Thermal Conductivity: Umklapp Process & Sample Size

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the effective mean free path for thermal conductivity in a crystal is the average of the bulk phonon mean free path and the size of the crystal, which in this case is 50nm. This is because phonons can travel in different directions and have different mean free paths, so taking the average is a more accurate representation of the overall mean free path.
Brewer

Homework Statement

The bulk phonon mean free path between phonon collisions for Umklapp process of a crystal is 30nm. If the crystal is of size 70nm, what is the effective mean free path that should be used in the equation for thermal conductivity?

Homework Equations

[tex]\kappa = \frac{1}{3}C_v\rho vl[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't got the foggiest clue for this one. My notes tell me that at low temperatures the mean free path is limited by the size of the sample, and that it is independent of temperature. However it doesn't mention anything about the effective mean free path. I know that l is the mean free path in the equation, and I would be tempted to say that l=30nm, but I'm pretty sure that's incorrect (even for a 1 mark example exam question that seems far too obvious).

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out with your question. The effective mean free path for thermal conductivity in this case would be the average of the bulk phonon mean free path and the size of the crystal. In other words, it would be (30nm + 70nm)/2 = 50nm. This is because in a crystal, phonons can travel in different directions and have different mean free paths, so taking the average is a more accurate representation of the overall mean free path.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

The effective mean free path in this case would be the minimum value between the bulk phonon mean free path and the size of the sample. In this case, the effective mean free path would be 30nm. This is because the size of the sample, 70nm, is larger than the bulk phonon mean free path, meaning that the size of the sample is the limiting factor. Therefore, the effective mean free path that should be used in the equation for thermal conductivity is 30nm.

What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is a property that describes how easily heat can pass through a material.

What is the Umklapp process?

The Umklapp process is a scattering mechanism that occurs in solids when phonons (vibrational energy) are scattered by impurities or defects in the crystal structure. This process reduces the thermal conductivity of a material.

How does the Umklapp process affect thermal conductivity?

The Umklapp process reduces the thermal conductivity of a material by scattering phonons, hindering their ability to transport heat through the material. This is because the scattered phonons lose energy and become less efficient at carrying heat.

What is the relationship between sample size and thermal conductivity?

The thermal conductivity of a material can be affected by the size of the sample being tested. In general, smaller sample sizes have lower thermal conductivity due to increased scattering of phonons at the boundaries of the sample.

How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using specialized equipment, such as a thermal conductivity meter, which measures the temperature difference across a material and the amount of heat flowing through it. This data is then used to calculate the thermal conductivity of the material.