Intensity of red laser vs blue laser

However, intensity also depends on amplitude which cannot be determined from the given information. Therefore, it is not possible to determine which laser has a higher intensity. In summary, the intensity of a laser depends on both its wavelength and amplitude, and without knowing the amplitude, it is not possible to determine which laser has a higher intensity.
allergic
1. Homework Statement :
Consider two lasers, one blue and one red. Which of the two lasers has the higher intensity?

2. these are my choices:
The blue one.
Cannot be decided based on the information given.
The red one.

3. The Attempt at a Solution :
The difference between these two lasers is their wavelength. Red has a higher wavelength than blue. Both have the same velocity, so red also has a lower frequency than blue (because v = wavelength * frequency). However, intensity depends on amplitude. (this is where I'm not sure) Amplitude does not depend on wavelength even though the displacement depends on both amplitude and wavelength, so we cannot decide with the given information.

am i right or totally off?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are completely right.

I also think the intensity is given by the amplitude.. Just like volume in sound is given by it.

What is the difference between the intensity of red laser and blue laser?

The intensity of a laser refers to the amount of power per unit area. Red and blue lasers have different wavelengths, with red having a longer wavelength than blue. This means that red lasers have a lower energy level and therefore a lower intensity compared to blue lasers.

Which color laser has a higher intensity?

Blue lasers have a higher intensity than red lasers due to their shorter wavelength and higher energy level.

Why are red lasers more commonly used in laser pointers than blue lasers?

Red lasers are more commonly used in laser pointers because they are cheaper to produce and have a longer wavelength, making them more visible to the human eye. Blue lasers are more expensive and can potentially cause more damage to the eyes.

Can the intensity of a laser be adjusted?

Yes, the intensity of a laser can be adjusted by changing the power output or by using optical filters to block or enhance certain wavelengths.

How does the intensity of a laser affect its application?

The intensity of a laser is an important factor in its application. Higher intensity lasers are used in cutting and welding, while lower intensity lasers are used in medical treatments and scientific research. The specific intensity required depends on the desired outcome and the materials being used.