Converging diverging nozzle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of converging diverging nozzles in achieving supersonic flow. The maximum velocity in the converging section is limited to the speed of sound in the medium, and the diverging section acts as a diffuser. However, in properly designed nozzles, the throat is at Mach 1 and the diverging section is where the flow starts to accelerate. The shape of the nozzle can also affect its performance. The conversation ends with a recommendation to continue reading about the topic.
ank_gl
i just started reading about nozzles and turbines in my semester course. i went through converging diverging nozzles. for achieving a supersonic flow, a converging diverging nozzle is used. now a converging section will work as a nozzle only till the flow is subsonic and a diffuser at supersonic flow. that means the maximum velocity obtainable in converging section is speed of sound in the same medium.
also dA/A = [M^2 - 1]dV/V, at Mach 1, section ll not alter the speed of flow.
now consider a converging diverging section. suppose mach 1 is reached at the throat, at mach 1, section ll not alter the speed of flow, then why would the flow become supersonic in the diverging section. i am a little confused about this. since no part of stream can go over mach 1 in converging section, diverging section should act as a diffuser, right?? apparently i am wrong, but i don't know where..
also i was wondering what effect the shape of section might have, i mean concavity or convexity of the nozzle

Engineering news on Phys.org
A properly designed CD nozzle will have it's throat at M=1. Compressible theory is where the divergent part starts to work. There are a few funny things that happen because of it. The acceleration of a flow in a divergent section is one of them. Keep reading!

http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/nozzle.html

Last edited:

The converging diverging nozzle is a crucial component in supersonic flow systems, such as in jet engines and rockets. As you mentioned, the converging section of the nozzle is responsible for accelerating the flow to the speed of sound, while the diverging section allows the flow to expand further and reach supersonic speeds.

You are correct in noting that at Mach 1, the speed of flow will not change, but the flow can still become supersonic in the diverging section due to the expansion of the flow. This is because the converging section compresses the flow, increasing its density and pressure. When this compressed flow enters the diverging section, it expands and decreases in density and pressure, causing the flow to accelerate to supersonic speeds.

The shape of the nozzle section can also affect the flow. A concave shape in the diverging section can help to smooth out the flow and prevent shock waves from forming, while a convex shape can cause the flow to compress and create shock waves. This can affect the efficiency and performance of the nozzle.

Overall, the converging diverging nozzle is a complex and important component in supersonic flow systems, and understanding its function and design is crucial for the successful operation of these systems. Keep exploring and learning more about nozzles and turbines in your course!

1. What is a converging diverging nozzle?

A converging diverging nozzle is a special type of nozzle used in fluid dynamics and aerodynamics to accelerate the flow of a fluid. It consists of a converging section, where the nozzle gradually decreases in diameter, followed by a diverging section, where the nozzle gradually increases in diameter. This shape creates a supersonic flow of fluid, commonly used in rocket engines and jet propulsion systems.

2. How does a converging diverging nozzle work?

A converging diverging nozzle works by using the Venturi effect, where fluid flowing through a narrow section of a pipe will experience an increase in velocity and decrease in pressure. In a converging diverging nozzle, the converging section accelerates the fluid to supersonic speeds, while the diverging section allows the fluid to expand and maintain supersonic flow. This creates a thrust force that propels the object forward.

3. What are the advantages of using a converging diverging nozzle?

A converging diverging nozzle has several advantages, including higher thrust and efficiency compared to other nozzle designs. It also allows for the creation of supersonic flow, which is necessary for high-speed propulsion systems. Additionally, a converging diverging nozzle can be tailored to specific fluid and flow conditions, making it a versatile and effective tool in fluid dynamics and aerodynamics research and design.

4. What are the applications of a converging diverging nozzle?

A converging diverging nozzle has a wide range of applications, including rocket engines, jet propulsion systems, and supersonic wind tunnels. It is also used in industries such as aviation, aerospace, and defense for various high-speed applications. In research, a converging diverging nozzle is used to study fluid dynamics and aerodynamics, as well as to test and improve the performance of different propulsion systems.

5. What are the key design factors for a converging diverging nozzle?

The key design factors for a converging diverging nozzle include the shape and angle of the converging and diverging sections, the throat diameter, and the inlet and outlet conditions. The nozzle must be designed to create a suitable pressure and velocity profile to achieve supersonic flow. Other factors to consider include the fluid properties, flow rate, and desired thrust and efficiency of the nozzle. Advanced techniques such as computational fluid dynamics are often used to optimize the design of a converging diverging nozzle for specific applications.