Solving Kinematic Problem: Object Thrown From 50m High Building

• Thread starter EvilBunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, an object thrown up from the top of a building 50 m high reaches a maximum height of 20 m above the roof. The time it takes to reach this maximum height is 2.02 seconds. The total time it takes to land on the ground is 6.35 seconds, and the velocity at which it lands is -42 m/s. However, according to the textbook, the correct time for landing is 5.84 seconds and the correct velocity is -37 m/s. To solve this problem, it is important to choose a reference point and direction for measuring displacement, and to use algebraic equations instead
EvilBunny

Homework Statement

An object is thrown up from the top of a building 50 m high. It rises to a maximum high of 20 m above the roof.

A) when does it land on the ground
B) At what velocity does it land ?
C) When is it 20 m below the roof?

Homework Equations

The 4 kinematics equations the ones I used where

Vf = Vi+ at

vf ² = vi ² + 2ax

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I am completely lost now. I don't know if we can do this in one shot or two.

I first found out how much time it takes for the ball to attein maximum height which gave me 2.02 seconds.

After I calculate the time it takes to go from that high to the ground and in total I got 6.35 s

but the textbook gave me 5.84

as for the velocity I had - 42 m/s

but the textbook says -37 m/s :S

I kept a lot of decimals so I don't think the mistake is there

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So for the first path you should get that

[tex] t_1 = \frac{\sqrt{2gy_{high}}}{g}[/tex]

For the second path you should use the distance equation

[tex] t_2 = \sqrt{\frac{2 y_{net}}{g}}[/tex]

These two times will give you just about everything. Is this what you got?

Step 1 : Decide the reference point for measuring the displacements i.e. y = 0 point and the +ve direction for displacement. It could be the ground in which case the initial displacement will be +50m and final displacement 0. Alternatively it could be the top of the building with upwards displacement +ve. In that case initial displacement will be 0 and final displacement -50m. Let us assume the second alternative.
Remember : velocities and accelerations in the direction of +ve displacement are +ve and otherwise -ve.

Step 2 : First determine u by using v^2 - u^2 = 2as. At the highest point v = 0. Displacement s = +20m and acceleration a = -g = 9.8 m/s2 (-ve because g is downwards).

Step 3 : Use s = ut + 1/2 at^2 to determine time of hitting the ground. s = -50m and a = -g

Step 4 : To determine the landing velocity use v^2 - u^2 = 2as. u as determined above, a = -g and s = -50m

Step 5 : When is it 20 m below the roof : s = -20m. Which equation will you use?

Good advice by Vijay, the only thing that I would add is to not put in any numbers until the absolute last moment possible. Do everything algebraically.

Hmmm am not so familiar with those symbols is it,

u = initial velocity

Still looking at it for now

Well thank you very much , this was pretty helpful I was never using a reference point correctly before, just got the last answer with Vf=Vi +at

1. How do you calculate the initial velocity of an object thrown from a 50m high building?

The initial velocity of the object can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the building (50m in this case).

2. What is the maximum height reached by the object?

The maximum height reached by the object can be calculated using the equation h = (v²sin²θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle at which the object is thrown, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do you find the time it takes for the object to reach the ground?

The time it takes for the object to reach the ground can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the initial height, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What factors can affect the trajectory of the object?

The factors that can affect the trajectory of the object include the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and external forces such as wind or other objects in the path of the object.

5. How can I use kinematic equations to solve for the final velocity of the object when it hits the ground?

To solve for the final velocity, you can use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time it takes for the object to reach the ground. The final velocity will be negative, indicating that the object is moving downwards towards the ground.