Solving Two Crashing Cars Problem - 11.3152 m/s

• Thread starter KMjuniormint5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary: This will lead to a different value for the force of friction, and ultimately a different final answer.
KMjuniormint5
You testify as an "expert witness" in a case involving an accident in which car A slid into the rear of car B, which was stopped at a red light along a road headed down a hill. You find that the slope of the hill is θ = 12.0°, that the cars were separated by distance d = 25.5 m when the driver of car A put the car into a slide (it lacked any automatic anti-brake-lock system), and that the speed of car A at the onset of braking was v0 = 18.0 m/s.

(a) With what speed did car A hit car B if the coefficient of kinetic friction was 0.60 (dry road surface)?

how I went about the problem:

a = acceleration only in x direction

for car A:
Fnet = mAa --> WA2 - Fk = (mA)a --> (mA)(g)(sin12.0) - [tex]\mu_k[/tex] (mA)(g) = (mA)a

now i divided everything by (mB) to get final equation of:
(g)(sin12.0) - [tex]\mu_k[/tex] (g) = a

now since constant acceleration I plugged a into the equation of

V^2 = 2a(delta x) + Vo^2 to get --> V^2 = 2((g)(sin12.0) - [tex]\mu_k[/tex] (g))(x) =Vo^2

plugged in everything I know:

v^2 = 2 (2(9.8sin12.0 - ((0.6)(9.8)))(25.5) - 18^2

then take the square root to get v = 11.3152m/s

why is this not right?

Physics news on Phys.org
KMjuniormint5 said:
You testify as an "expert witness" in a case involving an accident in which car A slid into the rear of car B, which was stopped at a red light along a road headed down a hill. You find that the slope of the hill is θ = 12.0°, that the cars were separated by distance d = 25.5 m when the driver of car A put the car into a slide (it lacked any automatic anti-brake-lock system), and that the speed of car A at the onset of braking was v0 = 18.0 m/s.

(a) With what speed did car A hit car B if the coefficient of kinetic friction was 0.60 (dry road surface)?

for car A:
Fnet = mAa --> WA2 - Fk = (mA)a --> (mA)(g)(sin12.0) - [tex]\mu_k[/tex] (mA)(g) = (mA)a

now i divided everything by (mB) to get final equation of:
(g)(sin12.0) - [tex]\mu_k[/tex] (g) = a

now since constant acceleration I plugged a into the equation of

V^2 = 2a(delta x) + Vo^2 to get --> V^2 = 2((g)(sin12.0) - [tex]\mu_k[/tex] (g))(x) =Vo^2

plugged in everything I know:

v^2 = 2 (2(9.8sin12.0 - ((0.6)(9.8)))(25.5) - 18^2

then take the square root to get v = 11.3152m/s

why is this not right?

This belongs in the HOMEWORK section...see sticky at top of forum.

However, to get you started...Fnet = ma means the vector sum of the x AND y components, hence...

mg*sin(theta) - mu*mg*cos(theta) = ma

which gives...

a = g*sin(theta) - mu*g*cos(theta)

See if you can take it from here...

but if on an incline. . .and we make the incline x-axis and the normal force the y-axis we do not have any acceleration in the y direction

KMjuniormint5 said:

for car A:
You made a mistake in calculating the force of friction. (As stewartcs has already pointed out.) What's the normal force between car and incline? It's not mg!

KMjuniormint5 said:
but if on an incline. . .and we make the incline x-axis and the normal force the y-axis we do not have any acceleration in the y direction

There is acceleration in the y direction, gravity always points toward the center of the earth. So even if you are on an incline, and you make your coordinate system relative to the incline, gravity will still act toward the center of the earth. The force vector is pointing toward the center of the earth, not into the incline. The y component is pointing into the incline. This will be the normal force that will be used to find the opposing frictional force of the car.

Hence, the normal force is not the entire weight of the car, but rather the y component. In this case mg*cos(theta) instead of mg like you had in your original equation.

1. How do you calculate the velocity of two crashing cars?

The velocity of two crashing cars can be calculated using the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time it takes for the cars to crash.

2. What is the significance of the value 11.3152 m/s in the problem?

The value 11.3152 m/s represents the calculated velocity of the two crashing cars. It is the result of dividing the distance traveled by the time it took for the cars to crash.

3. How is the distance between the two cars determined in this problem?

The distance between the two cars can be determined by using the formula d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time it takes for the cars to crash. In this problem, the distance was given as 40 meters.

4. Can the velocity of the cars be changed to avoid a crash?

Yes, the velocity of the cars can be changed to avoid a crash. By adjusting the speed of one or both cars, the distance and time it takes for them to crash can be altered, potentially preventing a collision.

5. Is the velocity of the cars the only factor that determines the outcome of a crash?

No, the velocity of the cars is not the only factor that determines the outcome of a crash. Other factors such as the mass and direction of the cars, as well as external forces like friction, can also play a role in the outcome of a crash.