Equations of Motion (Deriving equations)

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an equation for velocity in terms of acceleration and time, with the assumption of an initial velocity. The equation is v=v0+a(t2-t1) and the process involves looking at definitions and integrating both sides to get the desired form of v=f(a,t).
arjun90
Hi, I am just wondering how you would approach this problem:
Using the definitions below, derive an equation for velocity as a function of acceleration and time (v=f(a,t)). Assume initial velocity is Vo. The answer to this problem is v=v0+a(t2-t1). My question is how would you arrive to this answer step-by-step. Below are the definitions:

x=current position in the x dimension
deltax= change in position
t=time now, t0 is the starting time.
deltat= a time interval, t2-t1.
v=deltax/deltat (use as a scaler for now).
deltav= a change in velocity.
a=deltav/deltat (Use as a scaler for now).

Subscripts: 0 is an initial value, other numbers are subsequent values in time order as needed.

v (average)= (v1+v2)/2, a simple average.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
# I would first look at the definitaion of a
[tex] a(t) = \frac{dv(t)}{dt} [/tex]
# Integrate both sides
[tex] \int^{t}_{t_0} a(t) dt = v(t) - v(0) [/tex]
# This is the relation between v and a. but it is not in the form of you want, i.e. [tex]v=f(a,t)[/tex]. It is an integral equation.
# So, there should be an assumption about a, which changes integral the relation between a and v to a function. I think if you think, you can find it by yourself.

Last edited:

To derive an equation for velocity as a function of acceleration and time, we can start by using the definition of average velocity: v (average) = (v1 + v2)/2. We can also use the definition of acceleration: a = deltav/deltat.

Next, we can substitute in the values for v1 and v2 using the definitions provided: v1 = v0 + deltax0/deltat and v2 = v0 + deltax/deltat.

Substituting these values into the equation for average velocity, we get: v (average) = (v0 + deltax0/deltat + v0 + deltax/deltat)/2.

Simplifying this, we get: v (average) = (2v0 + deltax0 + deltax)/2deltat.

We can also use the definition of velocity as deltax/deltat to rewrite this as: v (average) = (2v0 + v*deltat)/2deltat.

Now, we can rearrange this equation to solve for v: v = (2v0 + v*deltat)/2deltat.

Multiplying both sides by 2deltat, we get: 2deltat*v = 2v0 + v*deltat.

Subtracting v*deltat from both sides, we get: 2deltat*v - v*deltat = 2v0.

Factoring out v, we get: v*(2deltat - deltat) = 2v0.

Simplifying, we get: v*deltat = 2v0.

Finally, solving for v, we get: v = 2v0/deltat.

This is the equation for velocity as a function of acceleration and time. We can also rewrite this as v = v0 + a(t2-t1), which is the same answer provided in the problem.

I hope this step-by-step explanation helps you understand how to arrive at the answer. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What are the three equations of motion?

The three equations of motion are:

• Velocity as a function of time: v = u + at
  • Displacement as a function of time: s = ut + 1/2at^2
  • Velocity squared as a function of displacement: v^2 = u^2 + 2as

2. How are these equations derived?

The equations of motion are derived using calculus and the concept of acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity. By integrating the equation for acceleration, we can find the equations for velocity and displacement. These equations are also known as the kinematic equations.

3. What is the meaning of each variable in the equations of motion?

The variables in the equations of motion have the following meanings:

• v - final velocity (in m/s)
  • u - initial velocity (in m/s)
  • a - acceleration (in m/s^2)
  • t - time (in seconds)
  • s - displacement (in meters)

4. Can the equations of motion be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the equations of motion can be used for any type of motion as long as the acceleration is constant. This means that the velocity and acceleration do not change over time. However, if the acceleration is not constant, these equations cannot be used and more complex equations must be derived.

5. How are the equations of motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

The equations of motion are derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. By manipulating this equation, we can derive the equations of motion to describe an object's motion in terms of velocity, acceleration, and displacement.