Resolving forces of a particles in equi

Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and the inverse tangent to find the bearing.In summary, a particle is acted upon by forces of magnitude 4N, 5N, and 8N at bearings of 000°, 090°, and 210° respectively. To find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force, the forces must be broken down into their components and then added together. The Pythagorean theorem and inverse tangent can then be used to calculate the magnitude and bearing of the resultant force.
hasnain721

Homework Statement

Forces of magnitude 4N, 5N and 8 N act on a particle in directions whose bearings are 000° , 090° and 210 ° respectively. Find the magnitude of the resultant force and the bearing of the direction in which it acts

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/6527/87818117yf6.jpg

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the resultant force is in between the 4N and the 5N forces. However I am not sure as i guessed that. I am not sure what to do next.

Plz help
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Force is a vector therefore has magnitude and direction. Break the forces into its components.

Midy1420 said:
Force is a vector therefore has magnitude and direction. Break the forces into its components.

how?

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/vectors/u3l3b.html . I would show how to resolve forces but I would need to draw a diagram...

Last edited by a moderator:
right F = Fx + Fy where Fx = Fcos(theta) + FSin(theta) relative to the coordinate system. Once you find all the components you can add all the Fx's and Fy's

1. What is meant by resolving forces of a particle in equilibrium?

Resolving forces of a particle in equilibrium refers to the process of breaking down a force into its horizontal and vertical components in order to determine the overall force acting on a particle at rest or moving with constant velocity.

2. Why is it important to resolve forces in equilibrium?

Resolving forces in equilibrium is important because it allows us to analyze the forces acting on a particle and understand how they contribute to its overall motion. It also helps us identify any unbalanced forces that may cause the particle to accelerate.

3. How do you resolve forces of a particle in equilibrium?

To resolve forces of a particle in equilibrium, we use trigonometric functions and vector analysis to break down the force into its horizontal and vertical components. This can be done using diagrams or by using equations such as the Pythagorean theorem and SOH-CAH-TOA.

4. What is the difference between resolved forces and resultant forces?

Resolved forces are the individual horizontal and vertical components of a force, while resultant forces are the overall force that results from combining these components. Resolving forces allows us to find the resultant force acting on a particle in equilibrium.

5. Can you resolve more than two forces acting on a particle in equilibrium?

Yes, we can resolve any number of forces acting on a particle in equilibrium. By breaking down each force into its horizontal and vertical components, we can determine the overall effect of all the forces on the particle's motion.