Exploring the Sum of Polynomial Roots with Complex Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of polynomial rules and their application to complex numbers. It is noted that the sum of roots of x^n=1 is always zero, and this result is well-known and has been for a long time. The conversation also touches on Vieta's Formula, which is the general case of polynomial roots. Additionally, the conversation addresses the question of whether polynomial rules can be applied to complex numbers, with some confusion and doubt expressed by the participants.
expscv
u noe how x^5=1 has 5 roots which some of them are not real in complex field.

and so is x^2=-64 with roots = -8i or 8i

and i notice that the sum of roots = 0 (msut inculde non real --> complex number)

is this becasue of the rule of polynomial --> -b/a = sum of roots

for this case b always =0 so -b/a = 0 ?

or (there is nothing to do with this and my example are just a fulke) once complex number is incolved then polynoimial rules can not apply?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
so this is current

what do you mean current? this result is well known, and I would suggest has been for very long time. The sum of all roots of x^n=1, n>1 (and be extension other numbers) is zero since, for example, they form the vertices of a regular n-gon.

great i mean is this because of [tex]\frac{-b}{a}[/tex]

sum of roots of a equation ax^n+bx^(n-1)+cx^(n-2)...

this case x^2+0x^1 + 64=0 , x^2=-64

sum of roots 0/a = 0

Last edited:
What's b what's a? The 'rules' about polynomials apply irrespective of the field, whereby I think you mean that for a monic polynomial of degree n the sum of the roots is the negative of the coeff of x^{n-1}

your explanation appears retrospectively...

~~_~~~ sorry i m bad at explaning

for example an equation of

[tex]a_{n}x^{n}+a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+...+a_{1}x+a_{0}[/tex]

which a_{n} = a a_{n-1} = b

so simmilar it can be write as
[tex]ax^n+bx^{n-1}+...[/tex]

this case

x^2= -64

a= 1 b= 0

anyway wat i mean is that can rules of polynomial be applied to complex numbers

omg i always confusing ppl how can i improve my explaning? help!

Last edited:
Why wouldn't the 'rules' of polynomials apply when the field is C?

thx thanks all cause my teacher said no and i doubt

What is the sum of polynomial roots with complex numbers?

The sum of polynomial roots with complex numbers refers to the total value obtained by adding all the solutions of a polynomial equation that contains complex numbers. It is a fundamental concept in algebra and has applications in various fields of mathematics and science.

How do you explore the sum of polynomial roots with complex numbers?

To explore the sum of polynomial roots with complex numbers, one can use various techniques such as factoring, synthetic division, and the quadratic formula. These methods help in finding the roots of a polynomial equation, which can then be added to determine the sum.

Why is it important to study the sum of polynomial roots with complex numbers?

The study of the sum of polynomial roots with complex numbers is crucial because it helps in understanding the behavior of polynomial equations. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science, where complex numbers are used to model and solve real-world problems.

Can the sum of polynomial roots with complex numbers be a complex number?

Yes, the sum of polynomial roots with complex numbers can be a complex number. This is because the roots of a polynomial equation can be real or complex numbers, and when added, they can result in a complex number as the sum.

Are there any real-life applications of exploring the sum of polynomial roots with complex numbers?

Yes, there are several real-life applications of exploring the sum of polynomial roots with complex numbers. For example, in electrical engineering, the sum of polynomial roots is used to analyze and design filters and circuits. In physics, it is used to model and solve problems related to waves, vibrations, and oscillations.