Materials Needed for Analogue Communications

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help in understanding the topic of Analogue Communications in their Communications Engineering 1 course. They are looking for a simpler resource to help them grasp the basics before diving into the more complex lecture notes. The student is specifically interested in topics such as multiplexing, AM, FM, PWM, angle modulation, demodulating, and sampling. Some recommended resources include Stremler's "Introduction to Communication Systems" and Williams' "Designing Digital Filters," as well as the Wikipedia article on modulation.
bumclouds
Hey guys,

I'm a second year Electronics Engineering undergrad student and this semester I'm studying a subject called Communications Engineering 1, which is basically an introduction to Digital and Analogue Communications.

I'm really stuck so far on the Analogue stuff because our lecture notes are really tough and hard to understand! I'm trying really hard but I need a "stepping stone" or something that gives me a general understanding of what's going on before I get into the maths.

So, what I'm seeking is a book which will help me get a basic understanding before I move onto more in-depth notes.

I'm looking for information on topics such as:

> Multiplexing
> AM, FM, PWM
> Angle Modulation
> Demodulating
> Sampling

etc.

Thanks guys!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I like Stremler's "Introduction to Communication Systems". I also very much like Williams' "Designing Digital Filters" -- it has some good background and motivation for both analog and digital fiilters, and discusses signal theory in a helpful and intuitive way.

The wikipedia.org article on modulation is also pretty helpful.

I can understand your struggle with the difficult lecture notes and I applaud your determination to seek out additional resources to improve your understanding of Analogue Communications. To start, I recommend looking for a textbook or online resources specifically focused on Analogue Communications. These materials will provide a more comprehensive and detailed explanation of the topics you mentioned, such as multiplexing, AM, FM, PWM, angle modulation, demodulation, and sampling. Additionally, reaching out to your professor or teaching assistant for clarification and further explanation can also be beneficial. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek help when needed. Good luck with your studies!

What is analogue communication?

Analogue communication refers to the transmission of information through a continuous signal, such as a radio wave, as opposed to digital communication which transmits information through discrete signals.

What are the basic components needed for analogue communication?

The basic components needed for analogue communication include a transmitter, a receiver, a medium for transmitting the signal (e.g. air for radio waves), and a modulator and demodulator to convert the signal to and from its analogue form.

What materials are commonly used in analogue communication?

Materials commonly used in analogue communication include copper wires for electrical signals, antennas for radio waves, and optical fibers for light signals. Other materials such as semiconductors and magnetic materials may also be used in specific components.

How does analogue communication differ from digital communication?

Analogue communication differs from digital communication in that it transmits information through a continuous signal, while digital communication transmits information through discrete, binary signals. Analogue signals are also subject to noise and degradation, while digital signals can be more easily corrected and reproduced.

What are the advantages of analogue communication?

Some advantages of analogue communication include its simplicity and low cost, as well as its ability to transmit signals over long distances without the need for repeaters. It also allows for a smooth and continuous transmission of information, making it suitable for certain types of data such as audio and video.