4=3 True or False? Check it out and guess where's the mistake

• Thread starter kthouz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
In summary, the conversation discusses the common mistake of dividing by a variable in algebra, specifically in the equation a+b=c. It is explained that dividing by a variable is impossible and can lead to incorrect solutions. The importance of knowing the "11th commandment" of never dividing by zero is emphasized, and an example of x^2=4x is given to further illustrate this concept.
kthouz
Let say that a+b=c
this can be writtem as
4a-3a+4b-3b=4c-3c
by arranging
4a+4b-4c=3a+3b-3c
taking out the constants
4*(a+b-c)=3*(a+b-c)
So 4=3

The mistake is that ... I'll post it soon. i read this from a notebook of my little brother and i firstly agreed to it but by the time i found out why not! Test your knowledge too.

Physics news on Phys.org
You divide by zero in the last step.

Last edited:
what he said ^

kthouz said:
4*(a+b-c)=3*(a+b-c)
So 4=3

You can't divide by a+b-c since a+b=c (i.e. a+b-c=0)...

Cool! you got it!
the trick was to know that dividing by zero is impossible.

Last edited:
I remember my dad showed it to me when I was in 5th or 6t grade. It stumped me, and I showed it to my Math teacher at school who explained the 11th Commandment to me: "You shall never divide by Zero"

kthouz said:
Let say that a+b=c
this can be writtem as
4a-3a+4b-3b=4c-3c
by arranging
4a+4b-4c=3a+3b-3c
taking out the constants
4*(a+b-c)=3*(a+b-c)
So 4=3

The mistake is that ... I'll post it soon. i read this from a notebook of my little brother and i firstly agreed to it but by the time i found out why not! Test your knowledge too.

This is exactly why you never ever divide by a variable. It is horrendous algebra.

x^2=4x

What is x?

75% of students will divide by x and say x=4.

Well they're half-right.

gravenewworld said:
This is exactly why you never ever divide by a variable. It is horrendous algebra.

x^2=4x

What is x?

75% of students will divide by x and say x=4.

Then those 75% should always remember that you can only divide by something only if it is not equal to zero!

1. What is the meaning of "4=3 True or False? Check it out and guess where's the mistake"?

The phrase "4=3 True or False? Check it out and guess where's the mistake" is a mathematical statement asking whether the equation 4=3 is true or false, and if false, where the mistake lies.

2. Is the equation 4=3 true or false?

The equation 4=3 is false. The number 4 is not equal to the number 3.

3. Where is the mistake in the equation 4=3?

The mistake in the equation 4=3 is that the numbers 4 and 3 are not equal, therefore the statement is false.

4. Why is the equation 4=3 false?

The equation 4=3 is false because the numbers 4 and 3 are not equal. In mathematics, the equal sign means that the two values on either side are exactly the same, which is not the case for 4 and 3.

5. How can I check for mistakes in the equation 4=3?

To check for mistakes in the equation 4=3, you can compare the numbers on either side of the equal sign. Since 4 and 3 are not equal, the statement is false. You can also use basic arithmetic operations to confirm that the two values are not equal.