Latest info about parton fragmentation

• Thread starter jal
  • Start date
In summary: In Summary: This summary is about the article, "Personnally, I prefer 'Effective theories for compositeness' because we do not have an understanding of the dynamics that causes quarks to be confined." The author discusses how there are many different approaches to understanding the universe, and that one of the most promising is supersymmetry. However, the author also mentions that there is a lack of understanding of the dynamics that causes quarks to be confined, and that this is something that needs to be looked into more.
jal
I don't know where this should go or who is interested.
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/0804.2021
Parton fragmentation in the vacuum and in the medium
(Submitted on 12 Apr 2008)
S. Albino, etc.
We present the mini-proceedings of the workshop on ``Parton fragmentation in the vacuum and in the medium'' held at the European Centre for Theoretical Studies in Nuclear Physics and Related Areas (ECT*, Trento) in February 2008.
These mini-proceedings consist of an introduction and short summaries of the talks presented at the meeting.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://cerncourier.com/cws/article/cern/32914
CERN COURIER
Feb 15, 2008
New symposium links the vacuum and the universe
A meeting in Austria looked at how vacuum physics at different energy scales continues to help in understanding the universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume that the change to the title of the thread has been done by the moderators. It's appropriate that the latest information would come from "parton" experiments.
Here is something else that I found.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0804.4147v1
Status of the Standard Model at the LHC Start
Authors: G. Altarelli
(Submitted on 25 Apr 2008)
Abstract: I present a concise review of where we stand in particle physics today. First, I will discuss QCD, then the electroweak sector and finally the motivations and the avenues for new physics beyond the Standard Model.
Plenary Talk at the 5th Italian Workshop on p-p Physics at the LHC. 13 pages, no figures.
=======
Many approaches have been developed. Check out what he says about “Supersymmetry” “Technicolor”, “Extra dimensions”, “Little Higgs” models, and “Effective theories for compositeness”.
--------
“Supersymmetry remains the standard way beyond the SM.
Models along these new ideas are not so completely formulated and studied as for SUSY and no well defined and realistic baseline has sofar emerged. But it is well possible that they might represent at
least a part of the truth and it is very important to continue the exploration of new ways beyond the SM. New input from experiment is badly needed, so we all look forward to the start of the LHC.”
======
Personnally, I prefer “Effective theories for compositeness” because we do not have an understanding of the dynamics that causes quarks to be confined.

The following links appear to give the latest ….
http://ptp.ipap.jp/journal/ [Broken]
Progress of Theoretical Physics ONLINE

Last edited by a moderator:
jal said:
Progress of Theoretical Physics ONLINE
Did you notice there seem to be a correlation between the authors' country of origin for all those publications ?
Can you conclude something from this correlation ?
:smile:

There is a strong probability that the next nobel prize will not go to someone with a european name. :rofl:

japanese

jal said:
There is a strong probability that the next nobel prize will not go to someone with a european name. :rofl:
Or a japanese person failing to publish anywhere alse is likely to submit to this journal...

humanino said:
Or a japanese person failing to publish anywhere alse is likely to submit to this journal...

That doesn't mean that it will be accepted, though. PTP is a reputable journal, regardless of the nationality of the people that publish in it. For example, I know of one paper from PTP that has been cited more than 500 times in various other journals.

cristo said:
That doesn't mean that it will be accepted, though. PTP is a reputable journal, regardless of the nationality of the people that publish in it. For example, I know of one paper from PTP that has been cited more than 500 times in various other journals.
I guess so. But then why so many japanese names ? The Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics is also a respectable institute. A japanese person with an important paper might want to publish it in this journal. If the paper is important, it will be quoted.

Why so many Japanese names? PTP is to my knowledge the premier Japanese physics journal, founded by Yukawa himself if I recall correctly. I don't think it's a major problem if it's a little parochial. If it's not Nature or PRL, it is still a fine journal, as cristo mentions.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the data from CERN starts coming out.
It's not just the japaneses that are putting out papers that are discussed in conferences, Koreans, Chinese ... far east.
Some of their papers I would not even refer to, in this forum, because they are investigating far from center and I would get reprimanded. :smile:
As a result they will be able to claim "first" if anything unexpected is revealed by CERN.
jal

1. What is parton fragmentation?

Parton fragmentation is the process in which a high-energy quark or gluon produced in a particle collision breaks into a shower of lower-energy particles, known as hadrons.

2. How is parton fragmentation studied?

Parton fragmentation is studied through experiments at high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Researchers also use computer simulations and theoretical models to understand the process.

3. What is the latest information about parton fragmentation?

The latest information about parton fragmentation comes from experiments at the LHC, where scientists have been able to study the process in detail and make precise measurements. These measurements have helped to improve our understanding of the fundamental structure of matter.

4. How does parton fragmentation affect particle collisions?

Parton fragmentation plays a crucial role in particle collisions, as it determines the characteristics of the final-state particles that are detected by experiments. By studying parton fragmentation, scientists can gain insights into the underlying dynamics of particle collisions and the properties of the particles involved.

5. What are the implications of parton fragmentation for particle physics?

Parton fragmentation is an important aspect of particle physics that helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them. It also has implications for our understanding of the early universe and the formation of matter after the Big Bang.

Back