How can ZnO be well-dispersed in Poly(MMA-co-AA) in IPA solvent ?

• Thread starter justinlee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solvent
In summary, the speaker synthesized a copolymer using Isopropyl alcohol as the solvent and Methyl methacrylate and Acrylic acid as monomers. After copolymerization, ZnO powder was added to the solution and precipitated at room temperature. However, the ZnO particles did not disperse well in the copolymer and the resulting composite was not transparent. The speaker is seeking solutions to improve the ZnO dispersion, such as changing the solvent or modifying the ZnO surface. Another suggestion is to use suspension reaction to bridge the polymer coil.
justinlee
First, using Isopropyl alcohol as the solvent, I synthesized the copolymer by Methyl methacrylate and Acrylic acid.

After copolymerization, at 70 C-degree, the copolymer dissolved into IPA. Afterward, I added ZnO powder into the solution with vigorous agitation. While the system got back to room-temp, I had ZnO/Poly(MMA-co-AA) composite precipitated at bottom.

The problem is ~ ZnO particles couldn't well-dispersed in copolymer <the ZnO/Poly(MMA-co-AA) composite wasn't transparent, and ZnO particle size was around 80 nm.>

It seemed that ZnO doesn't disperse in IPA, so I couldn't make ZnO well-dispersed into copolymer at blending process, while copolymer and IPA were totally transparent solution at 70C.

So, how can I make ZnO well-dispersed in copolymer by blending ? Change the solvent from IPA ?! (but the solvent chosen has to be suitable for the copolymerization of MMA & AA.)
Or, get ZnO surface modified ?!

this my headache ~ thanks anyway !

Likes Jarvis Wheeler
Engineering news on Phys.org
Was the ZnO powder you used a nano-sized zinc oxide? You should formulate the nano ZnO in an alcoholic solvent prior to blending it with the copolymer. I have seen totally clear dispersions of ZnO in ethanol at loadings of 20%.

halo
l'm new in this forum...
how about u treat ur znO with something, which it can bridge ur polymer coil..
iby using suspension reaction...

1. How does ZnO interact with Poly(MMA-co-AA) in IPA solvent?

ZnO, being a polar molecule, can interact with the polar functional groups present in the poly(MMA-co-AA) polymer, such as the carboxylic acid groups of AA. This interaction can lead to good dispersion of ZnO particles in the IPA solvent.

2. What factors influence the dispersion of ZnO in Poly(MMA-co-AA) in IPA solvent?

The dispersion of ZnO in Poly(MMA-co-AA) in IPA solvent can be influenced by several factors, including the concentration of ZnO, the molecular weight of the polymer, the pH of the solution, and the mixing technique used.

3. How can the dispersion of ZnO in Poly(MMA-co-AA) in IPA solvent be optimized?

To optimize the dispersion of ZnO in Poly(MMA-co-AA) in IPA solvent, it is important to carefully control the concentration and molecular weight of the polymer, adjust the pH of the solution to promote interactions between ZnO and the polymer, and use efficient mixing techniques to ensure uniform dispersion.

4. Can ZnO be dispersed in other solvents besides IPA in the presence of Poly(MMA-co-AA)?

Yes, ZnO can also be dispersed in other polar solvents, such as water or ethanol, in the presence of Poly(MMA-co-AA). However, the specific conditions may vary and require additional optimization for successful dispersion.

5. What are the potential applications of ZnO dispersed in Poly(MMA-co-AA) in IPA solvent?

The dispersion of ZnO in Poly(MMA-co-AA) in IPA solvent has potential applications in various fields, such as nanoelectronics, optical coatings, and biomedicine. ZnO nanoparticles are known for their unique properties, and their dispersion in a polymer matrix can further enhance their functionality and potential applications.

Back