Can Plasma Convert Water into Vapor for Mechanical Use?

In summary, when water comes in contact with plasma, such as in plasma cutters, it can be heated and potentially boiled or vaporized. This requires pressurized water, as seen in high pressure water jets used for cutting. While water vapor is a combustion product, it is not the main source of combustion in a steam engine. At extremely high pressures or velocities, water can act as a lubricant, but it can also erode materials. While there are methods for cutting with water and laser, using plasma as a cutting tool is not commonly heard of.
shintashi
what happens to a body of water when coming in contact with plasma - such as the plasma cutters? I've been thinking if you had a cylinder filled with some water and something like a plasma "spark plug" you could get some serious vapor pressure.

Is this an accurate estimation, or am I way off? If it is accurate, then is it possible to use water as a combustion material - like a modern steam engine?

I seem to recall at extremely high pressures, water acts like a lubricant.

Physics news on Phys.org
shintashi said:
what happens to a body of water when coming in contact with plasma - such as the plasma cutters? I've been thinking if you had a cylinder filled with some water and something like a plasma "spark plug" you could get some serious vapor pressure.
The water would be heated, and perhaps boil or vaporize with sufficient heat transfer. The water would have to be pressurized, which is what high pressure water jets do for cutter. They require sapphire nozzles because metals would corrode and erode.

http://www.kmtgroup.com/opencms/en_US/waterjet_systems/home/?gclid=CPDA-_HBiJUCFQ-SHgodxSnxrQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_jet_cutter

http://www.iwmwaterjet.com/

Is this an accurate estimation, or am I way off? If it is accurate, then is it possible to use water as a combustion material - like a modern steam engine?
In a steam engine, most of the water is boiled by heat from a fire. Water vapor is a combustion product, but is very small compared to the mass of water that is boiled. Steam locomotive exhausted steam in an open cycle, whereas many electrical plants using the Rankine (steam) cycle have a closed loop.

I seem to recall at extremely high pressures, water acts like a lubricant.
At high pressure, or rather high velocities, water erodes materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard about http://www.cnjete.net" cutting only, and with laser maybe possible, but never heard with plasma

Last edited by a moderator:

What is plasma?

Plasma is considered the fourth state of matter, along with solid, liquid, and gas. It is a highly ionized gas consisting of positively and negatively charged particles.

What is a plasma reaction with water?

A plasma reaction with water is when a plasma is generated and interacts with water, causing chemical reactions and changes in the properties of water.

How is plasma generated for this reaction?

Plasma can be generated through various methods including electrical discharge, laser, and microwave sources. These methods ionize gas molecules to create a plasma.

What are the potential applications of plasma reaction with water?

Plasma reaction with water has potential applications in numerous fields such as water treatment, agriculture, and medical research. It can be used to remove pollutants from water, enhance plant growth, and sterilize medical equipment, among others.

What are the safety considerations when working with plasma reaction with water?

As with any scientific experiment, safety is of utmost importance when working with plasma reaction with water. Protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, should be worn, and all procedures should be conducted in a well-ventilated area. Careful handling of electrical equipment and proper disposal of waste products should also be taken into consideration.