Calculating Cross Sectional Area After Cold Working?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Poisson's ratio to calculate the cross sectional area of a material after it has been cold worked and deformed. The speaker wonders if this method is accurate and suggests using a constant-volume approach or measuring the cross section with a microscope or micrometer. They also mention the limitations of Poisson's ratio for plastic deformation.
scott_alexsk
Hello,

Is using Poisson's ratio to calculate the cross sectional area accurate after a material has been extensively cold worked and deformed. For example say I have a wire at some nominal length and thickness (which is too small for me to precisely measure, but I know at the start). So can I calculate the cross sectional area from the initial values say after I cold work the wire and get a 20% increase in length, using Poisson's ratio, or perhaps a calculation based on a constant volume assumption. Or is it impossible to calculate it fairly accurately either way?

Thanks,
-Scott

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the 20% elongation was uniform over the sample, you could try a constant-volume (i.e., Poisson's ratio = 0.5) approach to estimate the new cross section. On the other hand, if the elongation results from a localized region of necking, the problem is much harder.

Why not use a microscope or micrometer to track the cross section?

(I assume you know that the typical Poisson's ratio for metals, 0.3, only applies to elastic deformation.)

The deformations I want to give are of the order of 5%, so it does not seem large enough to deem a constant volume correction (to me at least since it's so small and other effects may come into play), and it is plastic so Poisson's ratio does not really apply. I have been considering not bothering.

Thanks,
-Scott

What is Poisson's Ratio?

Poisson's Ratio is a material property that describes the relationship between the lateral strain (change in width) and the axial strain (change in length) of a material when it is subjected to an applied force.

How is Poisson's Ratio calculated?

Poisson's Ratio is calculated by dividing the absolute value of the lateral strain by the absolute value of the axial strain. This value can range from -1 to 0.5, with most materials falling between 0 and 0.5.

What is the significance of Poisson's Ratio in material science?

Poisson's Ratio is an important material property that can affect the behavior of materials under stress. It can impact the strength, stiffness, and stability of a material, as well as its resistance to deformation and failure.

How does Poisson's Ratio differ between different materials?

Poisson's Ratio can vary greatly between different materials, as it is dependent on the molecular structure and bonding of the material. For example, rubber materials typically have a higher Poisson's Ratio than metals.

Can Poisson's Ratio be negative?

Yes, Poisson's Ratio can be negative for certain materials, such as auxetic materials. These materials exhibit a negative Poisson's Ratio, meaning that they expand laterally when stretched, unlike most materials that contract laterally under tension.