Is Sarah Palin the Most Controversial Political Figure of Our Time?

• News
  • Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary, Real Time Bill Maher (I love this guy) discusses how Sarah Palin disqualifies herself from being VP due to her lack of knowledge about foreign policy. He also makes the point that McCain should have chosen someone else due to Palin's inexperience.
Cyrus
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a strange Internet phenomenon of people posting videos, many on YouTube, portraying her eating babies. That says something. Here are some examples:

The scariest one of all: Palin on the bailout

"I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps..."

Manchot said:

"I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps..."
:rofl:

Check out her ears, they are pointy.

edward said:

Interview said:
Couric: You've cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?

Palin: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land boundry that we have with, uh, Canada. It's - it's funny that a comment like that was kind of made to... char... I don't know... you know... reporters...

Couric: Mock?

Palin: Yeah, mock. I guess that's the word. Yeah. Um...

Couric: Well, explain to me why that enhances your foreign policy credentials.

Palin: Well it certainly does because our - our next door neighbors are foreign countries. They're in the state that I am the executive of and they're in Russia...

Couric: Have you ever been involved with any negotiations for example with the Russians?

Palin: We have trade missions back and forth. We - we - It's very important when - when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin, where's his head and, ah, and comes into the air space of the United States of America. Wha - Where do they go? It's Alaska, it's just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to, um, to our state.

Where's Putin's head? Hmm...

Manchot said:

This lady clearly has no clue what the hell she's talking about. This scares me.

SNL partied with Palin again. Funny thing is that they didn't have to use too much original material.

OAQfirst said:
SNL partied with Palin again. Funny thing is that they didn't have to use too much original material.

Youtube took the link down, it might be on the NBC site.

The scariest thing about the SNL skit was that they didn't really have to exaggerate much (apart from shooing the Russians away). Fey did a good job capturing Palin's disjointed "response" on the bailout question, too.

OAQfirst said:

Sadly Governor Palin is better at being a caricature of herself than Tina Fey.

Honestly all Mean Sarah needs to do is add the "I'd like to use a lifeline" bit to her shtick and she can take it on the road.

... Oh wait a minute. That's already what she's been doing.

Cyrus said:
Real Time Bill Maher (I love this guy)

Sullivan makes the point that I've been making: Palin not only disqualifies herself, but also McCain for choosing her. McCain chose politics over the safety of the nation.

The quote in post #6 is strange because I think Palin was about to talk about US reconnaissance fly-overs of Russia from Alaska.

post #6
...It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation...

Amp1 said:
The quote in post #6 is strange because I think Palin was about to talk about US reconnaissance fly-overs of Russia from Alaska.

post #6

Siberia at sunset.

That's about the only eye Palin likely ever has cast on Russia.

I have my suspicions that the valley-girl VP selection has even seen Russia from that island to even see that.

I feel embarrassed for her. They asked her to be VP and probably talked her into it, making her believe she'd be fine. I don't think she had any idea what she was getting herself into. Hah, it would be funny if she was sabotaging the McCain campaign on purpose to just get the hell out of the mess she's in.

WarPhalange said:
I feel embarrassed for her. They asked her to be VP and probably talked her into it, making her believe she'd be fine. I don't think she had any idea what she was getting herself into. Hah, it would be funny if she was sabotaging the McCain campaign on purpose to just get the hell out of the mess she's in.

The funnier scenario would be that McCain is trying to lose so big that Dems will be solidly in charge to undo the 8 years of incompetence from Bush. If he is President he would be a captive of their agenda. What better pay back for the way they have treated him and America than to purposely lose the election so big that all their nonsense and waste gets undone?

But ... nah, he's just not that smart. Neither is Palin. Neither of these possibilities can apparently be true. They are both cratering under their own steam.

1. Is Sarah Palin still relevant in the current political landscape?

While Sarah Palin was a highly controversial figure during her time as the Republican vice presidential nominee in 2008, her influence and relevance in politics have diminished in recent years. She has not held public office since 2009 and has not played a significant role in any major political events or debates. However, she remains a polarizing figure and continues to make occasional appearances in conservative media.

2. What are some of the controversies surrounding Sarah Palin?

Some of the most notable controversies surrounding Sarah Palin include her lack of experience and qualifications for the role of vice president, her controversial statements and actions during the 2008 campaign, and her involvement in several scandals during her time as governor of Alaska. She has also been criticized for her conservative views and polarizing rhetoric.

3. How did Sarah Palin impact the Republican Party?

Sarah Palin's nomination as the vice presidential candidate in 2008 energized the Republican base and brought attention to the party. However, her lack of experience and controversial statements also caused divisions within the party. Some credit her with helping to pave the way for the rise of the Tea Party movement, while others view her as a liability for the party.

4. How does Sarah Palin's popularity compare to other controversial political figures?

Sarah Palin's popularity has fluctuated over the years, but she remains a divisive figure in American politics. While she may not have the same level of influence or media attention as she did during her time as a vice presidential nominee, she still has a loyal following among conservative voters. It is difficult to directly compare her popularity to other controversial political figures as it is subjective and can change over time.

5. What is Sarah Palin doing now?

Since leaving office as governor of Alaska in 2009, Sarah Palin has remained active in conservative politics and media. She has written several books, made appearances on various news programs, and endorsed political candidates. She also started her own online news channel and has been involved in various business ventures. In recent years, she has mostly stayed out of the spotlight and focused on her personal life and family.